transferring OS from one hard drive

boybrown 14:54 17 Aug 06

Hi Folks,

I have set up a new hard drive and am wondering if it is possible to transfer then old settings and programmes to the new hard drive? I'm using to the old hard drive as a slave but have put a new OS on the new drive but obvioucly all my old setting etc are on the old drive

any suggestions folks?

cheers

johndrew 15:20 17 Aug 06

From your post I presume it is a new HDD in the original PC.

If this is the case why not use something like Acronis True Image to clone the old drive. If you don`t want all the information (like a second partition) you could create an image of you C: (OS drive) and install that.

True Image could then be used in the future for all your backups and (if necessary) recovery.

Other suggestion that I`ve not tried are:

click here

click here

click here

Hope this helps.

johndrew 15:21 17 Aug 06

Sorry I forgot Acronis click here

boybrown 15:29 17 Aug 06

Cheers for that. Can I just create an exact image of my OS then transfer across then?

johndrew 17:23 17 Aug 06

You will need to install the disk image. I think you would be better cloning personally. It`s quick and you can always delete after, or do a backup and install that.

boybrown 19:23 17 Aug 06

Hijohndrew,

Thanks again for the suggestions. I tried to make an image and saved it onto the hard drive that I wished to install it on but when I used the boot disk to try and then place the image on the drive it would not complete it, you mentioned the cloning but i'm not sure about how I do this. I have ACRONIS but seem to be missing something (brain most likely). I have not got a DVD wirter so need to be able to do what i'm wanting to direct from one hard drive to another.

johndrew 19:32 17 Aug 06

I opresume you are using True Image 8 or later.

Open Clone Disk and a Wizard will start. Just click Next and follow instructions.
Use the Automatic mode it`s easier.
Next
Select your existing drive.
Next
Select your new drive
Next..........

If you have trouble open the Help file select Other Tasks> Disk Cloning. It`s all there.

johndrew 19:32 17 Aug 06

`opresume` = presume.

Must get a new finger!!!!

boybrown 20:04 17 Aug 06

Ah johndrew,

No mines the old version. I'll go the the site and get the updated version. I'll get back but many thanks for trying!

boybrown 10:05 18 Aug 06

Hi there.

Yes the newer version of Acronis would allow me to clone across which I did but the clone won't boot either, this is really frustrating as it will let me put a clean install on but obviuosly I then lose all updates etc and have to start from scratch!

johndrew 11:08 18 Aug 06

Strange. Perhaps it`s time for a re-think.

I presume you are using XP?

Are you using SATA or PATA drives?

When you tried to reboot from the clone how did you do it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…