transferring from old pc to new

BeeWee 18:15 21 Feb 03

i have saved norton from my old pc on a cd but cannot load it on to my new pc. any ideas please? i have my reg. no and have paid to update annually since 2001.

jazzypop 18:25 21 Feb 03

How did you save Norton on to a CD? Was this a version that you downloaded from their online shop?

Gongoozler 18:27 21 Feb 03

BeeWee, how did you save and try to load Norton? The only way to install Norton is to use the installation CD you used to put it on your old pc. You will then be able to download the virus definitions from the Symantec web site.

BeeWee 05:50 22 Feb 03

i bought it online so have no installation cd

No Ideas 08:05 22 Feb 03

OK - this might seem "a long way around", but I've just done it. I installed the HD from the old PC as a slave in the new one and then just dbl-clicked on Norton icon i.e. the one the created by the original installation - it's the equivalent of "setup.exe". It just connected to the site and downloaded it with no need to re-register.

I guess you have saved the actual program - not the equivalent of "setup.exe". If you were able to do what you're trying to do, then it would be possible to distribute the program for free. I guess Norton would want to avoid that one!

hth

No Ideas 08:14 22 Feb 03

click here (for NAV but applies to other Norton products, I guess)

click here

BeeWee 09:46 22 Feb 03

why am i so stupid??? of course it would be like norton giving it away if it were that simple (my suggestion) anyway i would never be able to do the hard drive thingy so i suppose i am going to have to shell out and buy a new copy :(((

jazzypop 11:02 22 Feb 03

There is no need to buy another copy - just contact Digital River (the people who handle online purchases for Norton products) and explain the problem. click here

BeeWee 11:43 22 Feb 03

thank you jazzypop...i have managed to get a message off to them (it was like peeling layers off an onion to get to their technical contact) now...fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…