Transferring old HDD to another PC?

Muckleface 21:51 03 Apr 10

Hi,

My Mum has a PC (which I'll refer to as PC 1) which I was bought about 6 years ago and has the following spec:

Packard Bell
AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.81GHz
240MB RAM
80GB HDD (ST380011A)

I also have another old PC (which I'll refer to as PC 2) that I built myself from components about 6 years ago. It also has an AMD processor (not sure which one) and 2GB RAM, but I removed the HDD to use as an external USB HDD when I bought a netbook.

I want to take the HDD out of PC 1 and put it into PC2, running it as the sole HDD on PC 2. The reason being that the HDD runs on XP and has the full MS Office suite (neither of which I have have the discs for) as well as all of my Mum's files/emails etc. She basically wants to keep everything as it is but make everything faster (which I hope I can achieve using the better components of PC 2).

I thought it would be a simple case of taking the HDD out of PC 1 and putting it in PC 2 however, I've been reading things online which indicate this won't work due to driver problems and the different Processor, RAM etc. used in each machine.

Is there any way I can do the move or will I have to buy XP and MS Office again?

Many thanks

MF

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 03 Apr 10

Do you have an XP CD same type as on the old drive? ie XP home on drive XP home CD.

1.Fit old drive to new PC make as master (do not boot)
2. Boot to Bios and set CD drive as first boot device.
3 Insert XP CD
4. Save and exit from BIOS and boot from XP CD
5. Do a repair install:-
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Muckleface 22:10 03 Apr 10

I don't have any discs :(

Muckleface 23:07 04 Apr 10

Is there any other way of doing it? Or could I just put some more RAM in PC 1? Maybe harvest the RAM from PC 2 and install it in PC 1?

rdave13 23:42 04 Apr 10

No. Otherwise there would be no reason for a windows key and to validate.
Drivers would be useless.
Use a search engine for iso downloads of your edition of XP, but you will still have major problems.

rdave13 23:43 04 Apr 10

Removing ram from one machine to another won't work unless of identical, or near too, specification.

OCTCORE 11:01 05 Apr 10

Hello there,

Other than getting a copy of xp and doing the above options, you might consider a new pc they are good value and laptops have come along way in ten years. I have been using 'openoffice' on my mac and pc,its free and it will open word docs you can also save as a MS word document. I built a pc some years ago and it was a waste of time for what you pay now for a multicore PC with alot of fast ram with windows 7 to me its a non brainer.

Best regards.

VOT Productions 11:15 05 Apr 10

Openoffice is a free alternative.

Great for this.

Strawballs 11:18 05 Apr 10

The latest Open Office is compatable with Word

Pine Man 11:22 05 Apr 10

You can't break anything and there is nothing to lose. Who knows you might be lucky and it will boot up sufficiently for you to load some new drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…