Transferring OE contents to new laptop

kiz 10:05 06 Sep 06

Could someone remind me of how to transfer all my folders and address book (in OE) to a new laptop. Either that or point me to an article which will spell it out for me.
Thanks alot.

nob14 10:12 06 Sep 06

All you need to know about OE and the way to do what you want.click here

powerless 10:13 06 Sep 06

In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder: Copy the path to the folder.

Start, Run, Paste the above.

You'll see loads of files or just a few, depends on what you have in OE. Just copy those or go up a level and copy the folder.

On the laptop do the same but paste in the folder or files [whichever you copy] and voila...

Also have OE closed when you're coping and pasting.

For the Windows Address Book, File, Export, Address Book (WAB).

Carafaraday 11:51 06 Sep 06

For future reference............

kiz 15:33 06 Sep 06

thanks a lot guys. Really helpful as usual.

kiz 17:37 06 Sep 06

Powerless
I have done exactly as you said and put all the dbx files into the right place on the laptop. I can see them there but when I open O-E none of them are showing.
Am I missing somethng obvious? I have restartedthe comp but no go there.
Also, Nob14
That was a very useful site but unless I am stupid (probably) I cannot se anything about moving OE folders - only address book.

nob14 19:35 06 Sep 06

Your right Kiz sorry this any better?

click here

kiz 20:34 06 Sep 06

nob14
Thanks for that. I followed the instructions but still had problems (I'm sure it is my stupidity!). However, I am a bit tired tonight so I am going to leave it for now and will look at tomorrow and post again.
Thanks for your help

powerless 21:59 06 Sep 06

It will work as I said, done it loads of times.

Just to confirm you are copying all *.dbx files from:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{UNIQUE]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

To:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{UNIQUE]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

kiz 07:31 07 Sep 06

powerless
Success! I was doing all the correct things except I still had OE open on the old computer, so it wasnt copying the folders.dbx and inbox.dbx files correctly.
Nob14
Thanks - the article essentially said the same thing but nice to have on file.

One other thing though that you may be able to help me with:
While I was tinkering last night, I inadvertently changed the 'open with file type' from the standard icon for dbx files to Excel. Now I cant change it back as there is no icon in the file types for dbx files.
Can you suggest anything?
I have tried sfc but no help there.

nob14 08:00 07 Sep 06

try sending yourself a mail and then before opening it search for *dbx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…