Transferring MS Office XP to new PC

Mr Confused 10:07 12 May 07

I am currently looking in to buying a new Vista PC and currently own an OEM version of MS Office XP which I have installed on my current PC. I have two questions: -

1. As this software has already been activated with Microsoft on my current PC, does this then mean I can't transfer this software to my new computer?

2. Is MS Office XP even compatible with Vista Home Premium?

Forum Editor 10:37 12 May 07

1. You can't activate an OEM version of Microsoft Office on any computer, other than the one on which it was first installed, so no, you can't transfer it to your new machine.

2. Yes, it is.

Mr Confused 10:57 12 May 07

Seeing though I already have the software - is there any way that I can just purchase an additional licence (in the hope to reduce costs) or is this just not possible.

If not maybe I should consider moving to one of the free office software packes like open.org (I think that's what it's called!)

mine came preinstalled on my system, i upgraded to vista, i have all the license details etc, so i thought i could just download it from somewhere (like any other program) but after hours of trying to gets details of the download address all microsoft would offer me was a sale of the latest office of which i declined and now use open office. microsoft are that big they make there own rules, it's a great shame they have no real competition.

wee eddie 12:25 12 May 07

your old PC, rather than buying a new one.

Or, just keep the old one for use with M$ Office. I have an old IBM Aptiva sitting in the corner running an Agfa SCSI Scanner and Omnipage Pro. That's really about all it does now, but it's scans are really swift and I understand Omnipage. It all goes out, when the Scanner breaks down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now