Transferring jpeg files between computers

J5 13:03 20 Aug 03

I want to transfer a large number of digital photos stored on my laptop (Toshiba, Pentium III, Windows ME) to my PC (Dell, Pentium IV, Windows XP). The laptop has a DVD drive but no CD writing facility. Could this be easily done by using a Direct Cable Connection between the computers or would it be better (albeit more expensive) to buy an external CD-R drive for the laptop and transfer the photos by CD? If the former, what sort of cable would I need? I would welcome advice.

DCC is slow but effective and very cheap, you will only need an 8bit nullmodem parallel cable or a null modem serial cable (which will be even slower) the cable is only about a fiver.

basic networking facilties could be installed in your machines (one pci NIC, onepcmcia NIC and a crossover cable) for 30 quid or less if your laptop alredy has an ethernet port built in.

i would advise that as it would enable you to back up your laptop to to pc quickly on a regular basis.

i take it you already have a cd burner on the PC so buying another for the Laptop would be a little superfluous.

Megatyte 13:20 20 Aug 03

Or you could buy a USB Flash drive. Not expensive and very handy for transferring files between any computers with USB.

AH

medicine hat 13:29 20 Aug 03

Could you email them?

HighTower 13:29 20 Aug 03

Try USB transfer of files.

click here

rubella 13:31 20 Aug 03

trip of Maplins or similar for one of these:

click here

J5 13:33 20 Aug 03

Thank you horiz5 and Megabyte for your helpful responses.

JS

anchor 13:34 20 Aug 03

I use a PC-Linq cable.

click here

You install the software on both machines, and connect the cable to their USB ports. Very easy and quick.

Maplin`s used to stock them at a cost of £29.99; (don`t know if they still do). Perhaps someone will know where else they can be obtained.

anchor 13:38 20 Aug 03

Found a cheaper source - £20.55 + £1.69 p/p

click here

(second one down)

Megatyte 13:43 20 Aug 03

Try this.

click here

AH

J5 16:38 20 Aug 03

Many thanks to all who responded. I was obviously in even more need of advice than I thought. My laptop does not have an ethernet port, but Toshiba tell me that an alternative would be to buy a 'Global port ethernet PC card' (£49 plus VAT). In the immediate future, my use of a networking facility would be too limited to warrant this solution, but I suspect this will change so I welcome the idea. For my present purposes, the best solution seems to be the PC-link cable, though to judge from correspondence on one of the sites to which you directed me that there may be a problem using it with XP. I am also taken with the idea of a flash card, for general purposes. I think I will get one of those too. Thanks to Medicine Hat for the suggestion of emails - I fear I have too many to make this feasible.

Again, thanks to all of you for responding.

JS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…