Transferring ITunes songs to a Sony HD3 walkman

Ganda 16:05 20 Feb 05

I have an Ipod 4g 40gb which I am about to ditch in favour of a Sony NWHD1 or NWHD3. I have hundreds of songs in MP4 Audio files stored on my PC. Can I transfer these songs on to the Sony equivalent of an IPOD. If yes, can you provide me with an idiots guide to how you do it.

As always thanks in anticipation to you technical geniuses who will solve my issues.

ade.h 19:43 20 Feb 05

By MP4, do you mean MP3? If your files are MP3 or WMA (and possibly one or two others; not certain) then the Sony software (Itues equivalent) should be able to re-code them if neccessary. However, it should only be neccessary if your files are not MP3 (ie. WMA or AAC, etc.) as new Sony players can play MP3 as well as Sony's usual Atrac files.

Basically, if they are MP3, then it's fine. If they are WMA or another format, you might need to change them. If they are AAC then you'll need to use Itunes before you uninstall it.

ade.h 20:42 20 Feb 05

If you have Windows Media Player 10, try click here or click here. For WMP 9 click here You might find some plug-ins that will help.

Ganda 10:46 21 Feb 05

Ade H

The files were imported from CDs using the iTunes software using the AAC encoding format. The files are then saved on to my hard drive as filename.m4A with the file type being MPEG-4 Audio File. There is a conversion function that converts the songs and keeps the original but as i have over 500 songs already save taking up over 2GB that only has 6GB of space left, I was hoping there was an easier way. I therefore assume that from your first response I have no alternative but to use the iTunes software to convert them and get rid of the duplicates?

brambles 11:15 21 Feb 05

One of the smallest, lightest and sexiest audio players yet and it is a Sony. Store all your songs in MP3 or high quality ATRAC format on the embedded 20 GB hard disk - all in a device no bigger than the palm of your hand. As this is a hard disk-integrated audio player, PC files and pictures can also be stored. Easy access from your PC and fast data transfer make the NW-HD3 the most versatile Network WALKMAN from its family.
20 GB Network WALKMAN with HDD
ATRAC3plus and MP3 compatible
Sony 'G-sensor' technology protects your hard disk's content when dropped
Extremely long playback time of 30 hours with built-in battery
Large 7 line (1.5 inch) LCD with green backlight
SonicStage® 2.3 software for easy music management and unlimited transfers of your favourite tracks
Supports all popular digital audio compression formats: ATRAC / MP3 / WMA / WAV
Can store audio, video, and data files (Word, Powerpoint, ATRAC, MP3, JPEG, MPEG, etc)
Fast music and data transfer via Hi-Speed USB connection
Durable aluminum body
USB power charging
Supplied accessories: headphones, rechargeable battery, USB adaptor, USB cable, AC adaptor, carrying pouch, SonicStage® 2.3

Sounds as if it can cope with everything!!

Hope this helps

Brambles

ade.h 20:33 21 Feb 05

Unfortunately, it's not just a case of uploading your existing files to the Sony, unless they are WMA or WAV, MP3 or (unlikely for most people) Atrac. As listed in Bramble's post.

I am not familiar with Itunes (Ipods are not my favourite players!) but it should be capable of reversing the encoding process that created all your AAC files. In other words, put them back into WMA or MP3, whichever your preference dictates. If Itunes cannot do this, then you might be stuck, but it ought to be able to do this regardless of whether they came from CD or from your PC.

ade.h 20:39 21 Feb 05

Also, find out if the Sony software can read/convert AAC. Unlikely, given the product rivalry and proprietary nature of the format, but it might. Maybe!

If it cannot, then you have two options:

Use Itunes to convert the AACs into MP3s or WMAs.

Use an Mpeg4 codec plug-in (see the links I provided) to convert those Mpeg4 copies to MP3 or WMA.

By the way, it is reckoned that WMA can withstand more compression than MP3 - 64kbps is quite listenable, whereas MP3 is probably best at 128kbps. Useful if you're tight for space.

Ganda 08:37 22 Feb 05

Ade H and Brambles.

Thanks for all of your help. I think I now have the answer which is to convert the files to MP3 format and delete the duplicates and then in time I can transfer them to the Sony player.

ade.h 17:44 22 Feb 05

Happy to help, Ganda. The method you've described is the best option, I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…