Transferring IDE HD from old pc to new pc

Logov 10:41 08 Mar 07

I've got two pc's on my desk at the moment both working via a kvm switch but desperately want to reclaim some space and remove 1 pc altogether. My main pc I use for work and has a asus p5b deluxe mobo which is mainly SATA enabled having only the 1 IDE port used by my DVD drive. The other pc is used by the family for surfing etc but the drive is IDE. What I'd like to know is, is it possible to take the IDE drive from the family pc and either copy it onto a SATA drive as a bootable drive or install the drive to the p5b mobo via a converter and have it as a bootable drive? If so what do I need to do to accomplish either of these options?

(Both pc's have XP Home with SP2 preinstalled.)

Terry Brown 10:50 08 Mar 07

If you have a router, connect the 2 machines together (network), drag (copy) the files you want to move to the shared folder on the family machine, they will be visable from your machine, simply copy them to a folder /partition on your sata drive, and you have full access to the files.You can then (if you wish)remove the files from the family machine.If you really want to take the drive out, get a USB housing and put the drive in that, and plug into your uSB port.
Terry

Logov 11:00 08 Mar 07

That would be my last resort - but we've so many programmes on the IDE drive that would take an eternity to reinstall many of which, like the games, have saved data and settings that cannot be easily copied if at all. It would be so much less time consuming simply to transfer the drive as is. But can it be done.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 08 Mar 07

You need to either "clone" the IDE drive to a seperate partition of the SATA drive
or install the IDE hard drive in the new machine.
It should connect onto the same ribbon cable as the DVD. Set HDD to master and DVD as slave.

Before it will boot you have two things to do

1. remove all motherboard drivers in the XP version of the IDE drive as it WILL NOT BOOT as they will conflict with the ASUS mother board.
Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

2. Configure the Asus boot.ini file so the machine will Dual Boot to either opsystem.
Dual Boot
click here
for how to edit the Boot.ini file

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…