Transferring to 'high speed' broadband?

spuds 10:32 28 Jan 14
Answered

Recently I have had an old enemy return, and that is the irregular disconnections of my internet service. This was a problem that was eventually resolved over many weeks of investigations by both my ISP TalkTalk and BT OpenReach.

Seeing quite a bit of activity in the area with BT OpenReach, who are apparently making conversions for 'high speed' broadband. I asked a question "if 'high speed' broadband' would perhaps resolve the issues I was having". Apparently not was the reply from one of the engineer's doing the conversions. And neither would transferring to another ISP unless it was possibly Virgin or Sky.

Any views on this issue?.

spuds 11:26 28 Jan 14

Thanks Beta for that information.

Looks like I might be back to good old TalkTalk for some further prolonged support :O(

onthelimit1 11:30 28 Jan 14

Most hi-speed BB is 'fibre-to-the-cabinet', which means the rest is over your existing copper cables. Whichever provider you use, Open Reach would eventually be responsible for correcting any faults in that wiring.

spuds 12:09 28 Jan 14

Thanks onthelimit1

As I mentioned earlier, I had a problem previously which took OpenReach and talkTalk's own engineer's quite a time to resolve. They knew "there was a problem" but it was a problem that was not showing itself!.

The actual work of 'fibre to the cabinet' being undertaken at present by OpenReach, seems to terminate about 100 yards away at a cabinet, the rest being a combination of possible 'old hard-wire copper' and recent installed 'make-up' new type cable to my BT masterbox, then direct to computer.

BT 12:12 28 Jan 14

I have Virgin 'up to' 60mb broadband (Cable) and usually get around 40mb on average, although I have had higher speeds occasionally.

There's talk that there will be a free upgrade later this year to 100mb, and there's no reason to doubt this as previous free upgrade have always happened albeit usually a bit later than promised.

spuds 12:21 28 Jan 14

BT

Not sure what Virgin are actually offering me at present, but I seem to get their regular junk mail insisting that my area 'is enabled' to provide a much better service than their competitor's?.

Forum Editor 12:34 28 Jan 14

"I asked a question "if 'high speed' broadband' would perhaps resolve the issues I was having". Apparently not was the reply from one of the engineer's doing the conversions."

It puzzles me to hear that an OpenReach engineer would say that without knowing precisely what is causing your problem; do you know what causes it?

I have a BT Infinity connection at home that is currently running at 64 mb/s downstream and 16 mb/s upstream. Unless you have a physical problem on the section of line that runs into your property you should be able to get a similar connection when the OpenReach work is completed.

spuds 13:12 28 Jan 14

"It puzzles me to hear that an OpenReach engineer would say that without knowing precisely what is causing your problem; do you know what causes it?".

I don't know, and neither does TalkTalk or OpenReach, as I explained earlier at 12.09PM.

I am also on a upto 10mb package, which improved from 0.5mb to about 6mb, usually stabalising at 4/5mb after TT and OpenReach did extensive investigation and correction work at the exchange to my home. This went on for about three months with constant checks and feedbacks between TalkTalk, BT and myself.

My question was one of asking about high speed and the work being undertaken by OpenReach and Quinns in the area, and whether that would resolve my recent return to disconnection problems.

mart7 13:14 28 Jan 14

Fibre optic definitely the way to go,im on 60mb with virgin quite often get 72mb but never below 60mb,the upstream is poor only 3mb

bti have read somewhere on virgin media forum the upgrade to 100mb would start in November

onthelimit1 13:34 28 Jan 14

As mentioned in other threads, I was supposed to have been able to upgrade to Infinity in March 2012. Still can't, and no answer when from BT!

spuds 17:22 28 Jan 14

Having had a number of short term disconnection during the day, I thought that I would look to see if other TalkTalk users were having similar problems, and found this interesting piece community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/No-adsl-light-no-internet-light/td-p/1017830

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…