Transferring files from Windows 98 to Windows XP

jezzialli 17:17 21 Aug 03

I'm trying to transfer files from my old 98 computer to my new XP computer using Direct Cable Connection with a parallel cable. Despite following a number of guides on the internet to do with protocols, I come up with the same problem:

When actually trying to connect, the XP computer displays the message "Verifying username and password..." whilst the 98 computer says "Waiting for guest computer".

If I cancel the connection on the 98 computer, the XP cancels as well, so there must be some sort of communication going on. Also, if the cable is not connected when the DCC is launched on XP, it still displays "Verifying username and password...".

Does anyone know exactly what I should do? If you need anymore info, please ask.

Thanks for your help!

matt5705 07:44 22 Aug 03

try usb as serial is not as fast

-pops- 08:06 22 Aug 03

I don't know the system you are using for the transfer but have a look at the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard in XP. This is designed specifically to do what you are attempting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…