Transferring files and settings to new pc

cliffoa 12:33 04 Feb 04

I've had a Tiny PC for about two years that never worked properly from the start. Got advice from here, upgraded memory and graphics cards, downloaded so many patches and fixes it looked like a bandaid, but it continued crashing and doing weird stuff and having a mind of it's own. So I'm getting a new pc this weekend from Mesh with a fairly decent spec. It comes with XP home but I'll probably upgrade it to XP pro, as I already have that software. My question is, it would be real nice if I could just run the 'Transfer files and settings' option, to transfer across all my files and settings to my new pc. But I'm afraid to do so in case it gets 'infected' by any of the problems of my existing pc. I don't mean viruses, as I use AVG and update it regularly. Just the weird bugs and glitches that seem to have been built into my old pc from the start. Is there any danger they could affect my new PC if I transfer stuff across? Any way round it? All advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Hyperangelic 12:39 04 Feb 04

If you just transfer the basic settings for your applications, such as any tweaks and templates for Word etc, favourites for IE and suchlike, you should avoid the glitches.

I haven't heard great things about the XP transfer kit though. I used click here. Anyone been successful on XP Transfer?

JerryJay 12:40 04 Feb 04

If you have problem with your old machine, why would you want to transfer your setting to your new machine? If you only want to transfer files, a USB datalink cable should do the trick. USB1 one just £5.13 inc VAT (product code 39504)click here, USB2 one £9.84 inc VAT (product code 51250)click here. You can even use the cable to network your two machines. By the way, mesh machines look very nice, but they are very noisy (so do other powerful PC without special modifications), be prepared.

cliffoa 14:57 05 Feb 04

Thanks for responses guys. The USB network link cables sound like a really useful accessory. Do you know if it's possible to use them to link two pcs to play multiplayer games, or would the transfer rate be too low?

JerryJay 10:16 06 Feb 04

charles bukowski,

The USB datalink cable sell at ebuyer can be used to netwrok two PCs, but I do not have eny experience about this and I never setup any multiplay game before, so I cannot advice. But, according to some users' comments on Ebuyer, you can only network use software supplied. That means it does not use standard window network standard. So it may be difficult to set up for game play. I think the better way is to get a router (some even specially set up for game hosting) for multiplayer game. You can look in ebuyer as well. The cheapest one cost £25 click here (some users comment work for most games). You need network adaptor in each PC if there is not one fitted already. Again, you can get one from ebuyer, cheapest one cost about £2.00 click here. You need some network cable, they are also cheap. You can even setup wireless.

cliffoa 16:32 08 Feb 04

Hi JerryJay
My fault misunderstanding. I shouldn't have said 'multiplayer' as I don't really want to play games over the internet. Just play against my son on the other pc, so just wanted to network the two pcs with as little fuss as possible - i.e. cable, so I wouldn't have to take the back off.
You're right about the Mesh, it is incredibly noisy. But I only took delivery of it yesterday and have one or two malfunctioning issues so may send it back within 1 week cancellation period and check out some other pcs. Are you aware which manufacturers of 'highish' spec machines build in modifications to quieten them?

JerryJay 16:45 08 Feb 04

charles bukowski,

I think the best way is to use a route for more game compitability.

Most modern PCs are very noisy. If you want to get it quiet, you may need to DIY. Only big box maker take any meaure for noise is fujitsu-siemens click here, you can check their web site to find which model they claim is quiet.

JerryJay 09:29 10 Feb 04

charles bukowski,

Just to follow up. A company called Holy Computers sell so called "Whisper Quiet" systems, maybe you could check them out. click here. I never this company before, but there are two thread discuss this company in pcadvisor, you can check it out.
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…