Transferring files from PC to Laptop

cab1 00:02 16 Sep 05

My new laptop on screen help advises me to purchase a Laplink Cable, or nul modem serial cable. However, I find there is no serial port on my laptop, or at least the on screen technical information states "Serial Port - None".

Can anyone please advise the best method to transfer information between machines in these circumstances.

Many thanks,

johnnyrocker 00:04 16 Sep 05

i think you will find it means a cat5 serial (straight through) cable.

Stuartli 00:10 16 Sep 05

You can use a special USB cable with a hub into the cable itself such as this example:

click here

Not sure if such a lead would work with XP's Files Transfer Wizard.

Stuartli 00:11 16 Sep 05

Just found the Laplink offering:

click here

DieSse 00:27 16 Sep 05

I would recommend a USB flash drive - available up to 2Gb now (though a cheapie 512Mb doesn't cost much.)

You'll find it invaluable in the future.

cab1 00:47 16 Sep 05

Thanks for your various suggestions, but I am frightened of damaging either machine by using the wrong method and cannot understand why they say I need to buy a cable when there is no available serial port. Anyone had any experience in doing this by the wireless method?

Sethhaniel 09:24 16 Sep 05

my old laptop IBM Thinkpad came with Infra red
and I got A USB Infra red 'thingy' for £24
and I can just right click any file or folder and select 'send to' nearby computer - and files are sent OK ;)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:40 16 Sep 05

If you have an ethernet (LAN)port or wireless card in both your PC and Laptop then files can be dragged and dropped via a network.

cab1 13:24 16 Sep 05

Sethhaniel, yes my laptop does have Infra red, but not sure about the desktop. What is the USB Infra Red 'thingy' and how do I get it to connect to the desktop?

cab1 13:28 16 Sep 05

Fruit Bat - Both have LAN ports, but I didn't want the complication of having to set up a network. I only need to transfer files occasionally, so I just wanted to be able to wire the two together.

Granger 14:26 16 Sep 05

See if you can beg, borrow or steal an external USB hard drive, or some other USB memory stick or pen drive etc. Then you can just plug it in one computer, copy files onto it, and then plug into the other computer to transfer the files.

Or, if there's not too much data, there used to be internet services that allowed you to upload data for later retrieval by another computer. Haven't done this for many years, so can't offer any actual sites, but maybe someone here can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…