Transferring files to a new PC

twitcher 16:07 26 Apr 03

1. I have just purchased a new PC running Windows XP and wish to backup and transfer files from my current PC which runs Windows ME. I’m having problems transferring my DUN and Address Book settings. Is there any way of backing up these settings to a floppy disc or CD-ROM? At present all I get is copies which don’t transfer.

2. In addition, I am currently running Word 2000 and have a number of micros and personalised settings such as tool bars which I wish to run in Word 2002. I have saved the file but how do I transfer this to Word 2002? I was thinking of renaming the 2002 file as Normal.old and replacing it with the saved 2000 file, but would this cause problems in Word 2002?

woodchip 16:20 26 Apr 03

You could fit the old drive in the new comp temporary as slave, and try copying the files from one drive to the other

twitcher 18:18 26 Apr 03

Sorry, woodchip - I'm not that technically competent, all I want is a simple layman's solution!!

Switcher 18:28 26 Apr 03

For DUN Click on My computer> Dial up Networking
then right click drag and drop each DUN icon to desktop let go and select copy here.

You can then copy from desktop staight to floppy and transfer to new computer.

This works OK win9x to win 9x but for that strange OS XP it may or may not.

Switcher 18:32 26 Apr 03

For address book open outlook express then FILE>Export>Address book choose name and save to floppy

Import to new computer similar way.

By the way are we related.

twitcher 13:07 27 Apr 03

Thanks for the advice Switcher. You never know, we could be related. Sounds as though we'd make a good TV double act!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…