Transferring files to new computer

wester john 16:33 26 Apr 04

I am hoping to buy a new PC soon. What is the best and simplest way to transfer data from my existing PC to the new one (from Win 98SE to Win XP). Can I use Norton Ghost or is a cable between the two better?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:34 26 Apr 04

CD writer?

G

Diodorus Siculus 16:36 26 Apr 04

Depends on what hardware you have.

If you have a CD-RW drive, you can burn it to CD and move across.

If you have a couple of network cards and a crossover cable, that will do it easily.

A USB pen drive will also do it, but rather slowly.

Diodorus Siculus 16:37 26 Apr 04

Norton Ghost will work if you want to copy a parition without an OS to another without an OS - it takes "all or nothing" so a ghost image is not really what you want in this case.

wester john 16:42 26 Apr 04

Thanks for the responses. I have a CD writer and have most things backed up already. So will proceed that way.

Diodorus Siculus 16:47 26 Apr 04

One thing to remember re. the CD method is that you will have to remove the read only property from the files when they are copied to the new machine.

wester john 17:18 26 Apr 04

Diodorus Siculus.

Not quite sure how you do that

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:48 26 Apr 04

You can manually clear the read-only attribute by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, pressing Properties, and clearing the Read-only box on the General tab.

G

Diodorus Siculus 17:53 26 Apr 04

click here for a utility to do it automatically on a large number of files.

wester john 22:40 26 Apr 04

Thanks for all this. Very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…