Transferring files between old PC and new one.

CyprusJohn 07:25 19 May 05

My old PC is an indeterminate make running Windows 2000. My more modern PC is an ACER running XP.
Any suggestions as to how to transfer my music from Old one to new one as only the new has USB.

Diodorus Siculus 07:31 19 May 05

Take the drive out of the old one, set the jumpers on it as slave and install it into the new one. Then copy the data across.

CyprusJohn 07:40 19 May 05

Forgive this idiot, but what you suggest fills me with trepidation. Remove old disc? Set to slave? I think maybe this could be beyond my expertise with wiggly amps.

Diodorus Siculus 07:47 19 May 05

It is actually an easy thing to do if you can use a screwdriver :-)

Does the old machine have a CD writer?

Another option may be to set up a simple network - not too difficult between XP and Win2k.

CyprusJohn 07:57 19 May 05

No CD writer and my prowess with a screwdriver is legendary, in woodworking that is.
I was rather hoping for a "connect cable to left scwidget on old PC and the other end to the thingummy on the new one" sort of answer.
Maybe I should take them to my local ACAER agent and cross his palm with silver, or gold as is usualy the case.
Thanks for the efforts though.

BlueMeanie 19:05 22 May 05

If both PC's have a USB port, use a USB memory stick to copy files between machines.

VoG II 19:11 22 May 05
  CyprusJohn 19:15 22 May 05

Thanks guys, It looks as though even I can cope.

CyprusJohn 18:51 23 May 05

I have to say that after looking inside, what has been suggested by Diodorus Siculus (Golly you must be older than me) has been perfectly feasable. Installing the old drive was a breeze and copying across was a mite tedious but very effective - Thank you aged one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…