Transferring files between New pC and v. old PC

mumrah 23:08 13 Dec 05

I have a very old PC and now a new PC (Dell Dimension 5150). I want to transfer a number of files from old pc to new pc.
Old PC crashes when I attempt transferring to a memory stick. Doesn't work.
Used a mates Network Cable (RJ45/UTP Crossover) and the plug fits in the new PC, but no plug in the old PC for it to fit in. Old PC only has 2 USB ports and 2 Ports (one has a telephone marked next to it and one says LINE)for which a modem used to be plugged in one of them.

Can I connect my two pcs using these ports on the old PC? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Floppy disk not an option, CD Writing not an option. I want my old PC out of the way!

Thalmus 23:16 13 Dec 05

You could try taking out the hard disk out of you old PC and adding it into your new one

Taff™ 23:24 13 Dec 05

I agree. Take the old hard disk out of the computer, change the jumper to "Slave" and put it into the new computer. Transfer your files to the new computers HDD and then you can either return it to the old computer or format it and just use it as additional storage/backup. (How big is the old disk anyway?

mumrah 08:11 14 Dec 05

Do you mind advising how I can take out the old hard disk (which isn't very big, around 1Gb) and connect it to the new one (which I don't want to break after owning it for a week!).
I'm not too hot on the hardware side of things.
Cheers

Thalmus 09:00 14 Dec 05

to take out the hard disk all you need to do is open up your your old pc, locate the hard disk, un plug the cables connected to it and the unscrew it from the holder.

If you don't want to open up your new PC (which isn't a good idea if you don't know what your doing) then you can invest in an external rive enclosure which you can put hte disk in and then will connect via USB

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…