Transferring files from 98SE to XP

bob308w 13:45 18 Dec 05

I have a Broderbund Family tree maker installed on my 98SE PC, I wish to transfer it to my new XP PC. I have made a CD of the contents, but when I try to run it on the new PC, I get the message "FTW file not recognised". Is there any way of getting XP to recognise it, or do I have to do it with a serial file transfer cable? Is this likely to be more succesfull?

howard63 13:47 18 Dec 05

You cannot transfer the programme - that will have to be loaded onto the xp pc then your files will run.

martjc 14:12 18 Dec 05

...because installed programs cannot be simply copied to another machine - there must be adjustments made to the XP machine's registry, this is done by the installer program while it copies the appropriate files to disk.

bob308w 14:33 18 Dec 05

I have loaded the programme, but the PC will not accept the data from the CD; I get the message "The file you are trying to open is either write protected or not a valid FTM file. Change the attributes or use a different file". Not knowing what an attribute is makes this tricky, any help would be most appreciated.

howard63 14:44 18 Dec 05

go back to the 98pc and open one of the files in the prog. Save it to some device that will allow you to go to the other pc. Then open the prog in the new pc and see if it will load this one file. If this works then your original copy on your cd is damaged.

PaulB2005 14:48 18 Dec 05

"The file you are trying to open is either write protected or not a valid FTM file. Change the attributes or use a different file"

Or it could be the fact that ALL files on CDs and DVD are Read Only (Write Protected).

Copy the file off the CD onto the PC, right click the file and select Properties. Uncheck the Read Only box and try to open the file again.

bob308w 15:03 18 Dec 05

Tried that, can't be done, as apparently I am neither the owner or administrator, both of which are news to me. Don't you just love PC's that think they are smarter than you?

PaulB2005 15:05 18 Dec 05

What can't be done exactly?

VoG II 15:06 18 Dec 05

You need to take ownership click here

bob308w 15:40 18 Dec 05

VoG; This only applies to XP, the old PC is 98SE.
Paul; I can't put any info on a CD, 98SE won't let me, tells me I am not the owner! Same problem with XP, will not let me change attributes. (I am the administrator, at least on XP, I thought I was on (98SE!

bob308w 16:29 18 Dec 05

The original file attributes on 98 are 'archive' yet when I make a copy and run it on XP, it becomes 'read only' how come? Is there any way over this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…