Transferring Files

wyelander 23:28 31 Aug 06

I have about 50 GB files that I have stored on a external 120 GB USB Hard Drive. My Windows 98 PC reads the files ok, and my other PC (running Windows XP) used to read them as well. Then about 4 weeks ago the Windows XP PC stopped reading it. It would pick up the drive but say files were corrupt (even though Windows 98 reads them ok).

I bought a new high spec pc yesterday and tried plugging the USB drive into it, but again it could not read the files.

I have a Netgear 108G Wireless ASDL Router with a 108Mbps USB Adaptor. Is there any way I can use this to transfer the files from the Windows 98 PC to the NEW ONE. The New PC is a Dual Core Athlon 5000 with an Asus SLI Deluxe Motherboard. The motherboard has bult in Wireless LAN.

Can I transfer files from a my Windows 98 PC with a Netgear 100 Mbps USB Adaptor , over to my new PC using the Wireless LAN network?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Mike Spencer

FelixTCat 23:53 31 Aug 06

wyelander,

If you have a week or two to spare you could transfer 50 GB of files over a wireless network. It would be a lot quicker to connect the new pc and the Win98 pc to the router by ethernet cable, share the external drive and transfer the files that way.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant