Transferring Files

Blue Bop 10:07 07 Aug 03

I've just bought a new computer and want to do a couple of things:

1) Transfer files from the old to the new. Do I need to set up a network or can I just connect with a cable and transfer that way?

2) Format the hard drive on my old PC so that it can be sold. How do I do this? Will I need to reinstall cd drivers, etc in DOS?

Any suggestions on either point please

Lú-tzé 10:19 07 Aug 03

The easiest way would be to install a cd-rw drive into the old machine and copy the files onto a CD. Then put them onto the new machine. If there is a CD-RW drive in the new machine it would be easy to swap it around if you are confident with opening the machines.

If you have a network card on both machines, you can get a network crossover cable and do it that way - slightly more involved but also a viable proposition.

What OS is on the old machine? If you want to sell it, the best thing to do is use a factory restore disk if you have one. Otherwise format the hdd and install the OS onto it. How you go about this will depend on the current OS.

If you are worried about the security of the data on it at the moment, it might be worthwhile getting a program like eraser which goes a long way towards deleting the files so that they will not be easily recovered.

Jester2K II 10:20 07 Aug 03

You can do it a few ways.

1) Take the old drive out and slave it in the new PC> Drag and drop the files you want in Windows Explorer. Then format the old drive using Windows Explorer. Nothing needs to be reinstalled on the old drive before you sell it.

2) If both PCs have a USB port then for £30 you can buy a USB Bridge (Laplink) cable to do the transfer.

If you need more instruction son either - please ask.

Blue Bop 10:31 07 Aug 03

Thanks. Both PCs do have CDRW but I didn't really want the hassle of doing that (I might need quite a few CDs).

I have ME on the old machine but I will probably reinstall 98.

Jester, both PCs have a USB Port but I was hoping to do this on the cheap! How easy is it (and what is involved) in the 'slave' process. I am happy diving into the box but haven't done this before. Do I just move the old HDD? How do I make it the slave?

Once I have formatted the old drive (from the new machine) will I not need to reinstall the OS etc? When I sell it I want the HDD to be empty apart from the OS and drivers for the printer, Cd drives etc.

Jester2K II 10:37 07 Aug 03

On the back of the old drive should be a sticker showing where to move the jumpers (little plastic blocks near the cable plugs) to set it to slave.

Plug it into a spare IDE connector in the new PC. Switch on and go into the BIOS. Set it to Auto Detect the drives and save the changes and exit the BIOS.

PC should now reboot and your old drive should be drive D (or E,F,G,H etc) Once in windows you can drag and drop the file across.

Blue Bop 10:44 07 Aug 03

Thanks. I'll have a go later today. If I have any problems (I'm sure I'll get confused by it all!) I'll be back on for more advice. Thanks Jester.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…