Transferring Emails To New System

Joseph Kerr 13:38 30 Aug 10

I'll have a new (Win 7) machine in the very near future but I'd like the smoothest changeover I can get, especially when it comes to transferring my emails over. I've tried the procedure of backing up emails in OE before, with horrible consequences.

I currently use Windows Live Mail with a Talk Talk account. I prefer Outlook Express but that will not be an option with Windows 7 will it? The retailer I'm using often put Open Office on their machines (which I may need initially as my MS is too old to work on Win 7), so I could use whatever comes with that, if anything or, of course, Windows Live Mail again, but the main thing is to get everything transferred successfully.

I don't really like Win Live Mail's habbit of putting certain symbols and smileys in when you type certain character combinations. Also, I'd prefer to stay with a desktop based client.

Would the backup and retrieval procedure be different depending on which client I pick?

I'm going to be cheeky and ask a couple of supplementary questions, related to th enew machine, but not to the email situation.

Does DDR3 RAM come in a dual channel variety and if so is it much more expensive (as I have been quoted for DDR3 as opposed to dual channel DDR2)?

It will be a 64 bit system. Might this raise any software issues? As for hardware, I've checked and my scanner and printer seem to have drivers, I just hope the external HDD, mouse and keyboard and monitor will be OK. The mouse and keyboard and monitor will be replaced before too long but not immediately.

I have asked the shop all this but getting answers seems to be slow to say the least, so any help would be gratefully recieved.

Woolwell 16:23 30 Aug 10

Open Office does not come with am e-mail client.

You have 2 main choices - Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird for your e-mail client (there are others).

Joseph Kerr 17:59 30 Aug 10

Thanks Woolwell.

I have been told if I use Win Live Mail again I should be able to find all my emails online, but I don't really understand...?

In either case, how would i go about backing up and transferring my emails over to the new client?

Woolwell 20:04 30 Aug 10

"I should be able to find all my emails online," not really true. It depends on the mail that you are receiving and what set up you have. It is more likely that the e-mails are on your system and you will not be able to find them online.

See this first click here and click here.
Having exported the mail and contacts you then need to import them. You will probably have to set up your e-mail accounts again so make a note of all of the settings.

Sea Urchin 20:08 30 Aug 10

"I should be able to find all my emails online,"

Probably confusing it with Windows Live Hotmail

Joseph Kerr 20:12 30 Aug 10

Ah OK, thankyou both.

gazzaho 20:44 30 Aug 10

The Windows Live Mail you download and use with Windows 7 works much like Outlook Express or Windows Mail in Vista imho, this is the location the files are stored in Windows 7
C:\Users\<Windows user account>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

I'm not sure what you mean about smileys being inserted, any email I've sent through Live Mail on Windows 7 has worked just like Outlook Express or Windows Mail on Vista.

I transfered my mail over from Vista's Mail with no problem using the export and import functions. I had to export the folders to the C: drive and then move them to an external drive as it wouldn't allow me to save them directly to an external drive.

Once my folders and contacts were exported and saved I installed Windows 7 downloaded and installed Live Mail, imported them, copied all the relevant files to their respective folders and deleted the empty ones. It only took a few minutes. I never found it difficult or complicated at all.

Can't help with the RAM I'm afraid, still using DDR2 myself.

As for Windows 7 64bit, all the things you mention, hard drive, monitor, mouse and keyboard should work fine. If you want to check software/hardware compatibility then (click here) would be your best place to start. Same very old software won't run on 64bit but a lot will.

Sea Urchin 22:17 30 Aug 10

"I'm not sure what you mean about smileys being inserted"

See this

click here

Joseph Kerr 22:33 30 Aug 10

Thanks gazzaho.

Joseph Kerr 22:34 30 Aug 10

Thats the one Sea Urchin.

gazzaho 04:35 31 Aug 10

Sea Urchin
Ahh, I see. I never use them myself ;-) so I guess that's why I've never came across the problem when writing Emails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…