Transferring 'Documents and Settings' from C:Drive

dregn 18:24 18 May 05

My PC has two HDDs and is running WIN XP Pro.The system files reside on the C: drive as usual.
I am considering moving 'Docs&Settings' to the second drive. My reasoning is that the C: Drive will be less fragmented and speed will be maintained.
Am I deluding myself or is this a good idea ?

Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

TIA

Fingees 18:34 18 May 05

I don't tink it can be done, as the files are actually used, and the system would not know where to find them.

There is nothing wrong with defragging occasionally, although unless you have a very small drive, it shouldn't cause any problems, certainly not to reduce speed significantly.

fred 20:15 18 May 05

The documents can simply be copied from one drive to the other via copy/paste or drag and drop. 'Tis then easy to place a shortcut to the destination folder on the desktop

wednesday 13 21:02 18 May 05

Yes, the good old copy and paste should do the trick, although it may take a while depending on how full the file is

dregn 07:07 19 May 05

Many thanks for your help. I hope to try your suggestions this weekend.
dregn

David4637 14:16 19 May 05

Surely he wants to move the docs NOT copy them? You can move them, even though they are probably system based. Some one needs to advise you the moving aspect? David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…