Transferring documents from 1 PC to another?

Daisy22 19:01 01 Dec 06

I have bought a USB key which is 1gb for backing up work files and transferring to another PC.

I used the "cut and paste" system, using the desktop item to transfer to the USB key. On the original PC it seemed to work, but when I tried the transfer to the different PC, it had only saved the desktop shortcuts.

What is the best way to do this saving and transferring please?

Daisy22 19:03 01 Dec 06

I forgot to say that the files I wish to transfer are database (not sure which one) which contain information and photos.

brundle 19:04 01 Dec 06

If you held down Shift while selecting files and then held it down while dragging and dropping to the USB key, you will only have shortcuts. Use a 2 pane file manager to make copying and managing files easier click here, or hold down shift to select multiple files then let it go before you drag and drop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 01 Dec 06

You need to select the file itself rather than the shortcut in the Start menu documens list.

I prefer to use the send to powertoy click here , allows me to right click file or files and send them to wherever I wish.

Daisy22 19:29 01 Dec 06

I don't really want to go downloading programmes, surely there is an easier way?

Woolwell 19:41 01 Dec 06

I have done this many times to transfer files to another PC. This works for Windows XP:
Insert memory stick into the pc which has the files to be transferred.
Highlight the files.
Under the File and Folder tasks pane select copy this file. Then choose the usb key. Click on copy.
You can open the USB key to check that it has transferred ok.
Transfer memory stick to other pc (having first safely removed it).
Then open memory stick (usb key)
Select file(s) and move (or copy) to the new destination.
Don;t think I;ve left anything out.

Daisy22 11:08 02 Dec 06

Thanks Woolwell I tried as you suggested.

When I put the memory stick into one of my USB ports (e port)on the second PC I can see the folders I wanted to transfer. However when I open one of them, all it is showing are my own files/folders that were already on the PC!

With the other files/folders I get an error message which says "c:program files/..... refers to a location that is unavailable, check to make sure the disk is properly inserted etc. etc.

I haven't done this before so I'm obviously doing something wrong, but what??

Woolwell 13:42 02 Dec 06

It sounds as if your are trying to transfer a program and not data files, images or office documents. You will need to install the program on the other computer.

However to go back a stage:
You have copied the files/folders on to the memory stick and before transferring you have checked that they are on the stick?
When you put the memory stick into the second PC you can open the memory stick and see the folders and files. It should be straightforward to move/copy them into their new location on the 2nd PC by move/copy file or copy and paste.

terryf 13:57 02 Dec 06

In Explorer, if I want to copy folders or files to a usb device I right click and hold down the mouse key and drag the file to the device and let go of the key, a window pops up and asks if I want to copy or move, I choose copy, works for me :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5