transferring data from old hard drive to new one

bob 14:41 24 Mar 05

I have fitted a new 80Gb hard drive to replace my 10.1 Gb drive. Eventually I managed to get Windows to recognise it by changing BIOS entries for HD`s to AUTO. I have formatted it and it now shows as drive D. I do not understand the jumper problem. The old drive,which is an IBM 10.1gb E-IDE drive. The jumpers are two rows of 5 pins and the jumper is set at the bottom right two pins. I believe this is master. What are the other pins and where is slave. On the new drive I have seen the diagram and can find master. When I have tried to transfer my old disc contents using Acronis Migrate Easy 7. When I install it and press finnish I am told that the program cannot be run because of an error and I cannot find it anywhere on my PC. It disappeared. Can any computer literate person help me? PLEASE!!!

martjc 15:16 24 Mar 05

You have Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate, etc. They all have different jumpers and usually the best way to transfer data/system is to use the manufacurer's own software [found on their own site]. If, for instance, your new drive is Maxtor, go to the Maxtor site and download Maxblast. This is a utility, with instructions, which shows you how to migrate everything to the new drive! The drive makers understand users' problems and really try to accomodate. All of them have their own software to achieve your needs.

Best of luck. Martin

FelixTCat 16:01 24 Mar 05

Firstly, if you have 2 hard drives on one IDE cable, one must be set to master and one to slave; or both can be set to cable select.

Secondly, take note of the model number of your IBM drive and go to Hitachi's web site and look up the drive: click here (Hitachi took over IBM's drive business).

Thirdly, rather that simply carry out a bit copy of your existing drive, this might be a good opportunity to do a fresh operating system install on the new drive, then copy your data over. By clearing out a lot of the accumulated dross this way, your system will run a lot better.

Fourthly, you could also consider partitioning the new drive to separate the o/s from your programs and data - this makes backing up much easier. It is also useful to have a separate partition for the virtual memory (swap file) to prevent it fragmenting.

Jak_1 16:13 24 Mar 05

The way I did things was to make the new drive as master and install operating system, set the jumpers to slave on the old drive and simply drag and drop the data files to the new drive. Then all I had to do was reformat the old drive.

bob 17:33 25 Mar 05

I would like to thank everyone who answered my question. Maxblast did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…