Transferring data from old hard drive to new?

Rickster007 22:42 02 Dec 05

To begin with I would like to say I had no previous experience of installing components inside my base unit. Ok the problem i had was that my hard drive was damaged, so i telephoned Dell and they said they will replace the hard drive as the old one was badly damaged. They have done this but the problem i have now is that i had lost many files/data that i needed on the old hard drive so i took it to a local technician. They repaired the drive and said it was possible to send data from my old drive to the new one by connecting it with cables to the computer and i can select the files i want to transfer. Now i have no idea how to connect the old drive to the computer. I have heard that i do not need to by cables as they may be in the base unit but i havent got a clue where to find them and also i have heard stuff about jumpers, slave drive and master drive. All i want to do is transfer the files and throw away the old drive. Please can anyone tell me what to do and how to connect thh drives. I am using windows XP home edition if that helps and also have a CD-R/RW / DVD player combo drive. (NOTE not a DVD R/RW).

Longhouse 22:50 02 Dec 05

Better to have a "visual" guide to installing a slave drive to the master drive (c:)...This might help:

click here

Longhouse 22:57 02 Dec 05

some more guides...

click here

click here

click here

Longhouse 23:06 02 Dec 05

I should add a caution...

some of the info in the links I've listed prompt you to fdsik & format the drive....DO NOT DO THIS as you will lose the data you are trying to recover.

the drive will already be in a state to install as a slave drive. You should only need to install the hardware and ensure that the BIOS is set to auto detect any new drives.

Once recognised, you can copy the data you need from the old drive to the new.

Good luck

Longhouse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…