Transferring data to new hard drive

David_Brent 19:36 31 Mar 03

I am looking at buying a new pc shortly but one of the concerns i have is I would like to keep everything I have on my hard drive at present (18gb)and transfer to a new one that is much bigger without losing anything. Can anyone help thanks?

€dstow 19:44 31 Mar 03

When you get your new machine, assuming it has Windows XP, look in the help files for Files and Settings Transfer Wizard which will tell you all you want to know about moving your data from old to new.

€d

Lone Crow 20:57 31 Mar 03

Assuming it's only data you want to transfer and not the whole Operating System, why not just temporarily install your smaller HD into the new machine as a 2nd drive and copy the files across using Explorer. Job done! If you want to transfer everything incl OS, then you may need software like PartitionMagic or Ghost to do it (unless WondowsXP can do it - I don't have XP so can't say). LC.

Switcher 21:33 31 Mar 03

Use GHOST to clone the old disk to the new one.

It will then be an exact copy except on a bigger disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…