Transferring Data

denali 13:07 04 Nov 07

I put this in the wrong thread the other day. Hope it is right this time!

Is it possible to transfer data from Sata Hdd to ATA Hdd?. Or any way to put the Sata drive in a non Sata PC. No! she never did any backups!!!

Willie160 13:40 04 Nov 07

Are you saying that you have installed a second drive into your computer if you have I don't think it matters if it is SATA or ATA you'll just see it as an extra drive and will be able to transfer data from one to the other.

denali 13:55 04 Nov 07

No. The sata drive is on another PC which is Kaput. I need to get my daughters course work from it.

Longhouse 13:57 04 Nov 07

You could install the SATA drive in an external enclosure to recover the files. Something like these

click here

y_not 13:58 04 Nov 07

Not exactly sure which way you are trying to go but to transfer data from one HDD to the other can be achieved by a couple of routes: -
1. Buy an external HDD case (either SATA or ATA as required) and transfer using the USB2 cable (supplied with the casing)
2. Install a PCI card which has either SATA or ATA connectors and connect the old HDD to the PCI card.

Personally I'd go with the first option because this will, longer term, give you better backup options and allows the HDD to be remote from the PC most of the time - protecting your data from fire/flood etc.

Hope it helps

Cheers
Tony

denali 16:04 08 Nov 07

Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. Hospital appointment ended with four days of there hospitality. I am going to try both options, see how I get along. Thank you for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…