Transferring data

Retiredidiot 10:37 26 Oct 07

I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows XP, and I want to transfer files from the desktop to the laptop. There are rather a lot of them so I don't want to use DVD's to do it how do I go about it?

100andthirty 12:32 26 Oct 07

either
buy an external USB hard drive, rag files from HD of computer 1 to the external drive; then connect drive to computer 2 and drag files from external drive to computer 2.

or

connect the computers together using a crossover ethernet cable and run network set up wizard on each for "peer to peer networking".

Retiredidiot 14:15 26 Oct 07

Thanks for the reply, the external drive seems the easiest option.

Diemmess 16:35 26 Oct 07

.... depending on the size of the files rather than their number, buy a good pen drive.
They go from 125Mb to several Gb nowadays.

This will remain a useful gizmo long after the intitial transfer has been done.
In a minute or so you can transfer any file between two computers. No power supply needed, just a valid USB socket.

Personally I would choose one with a ribbon on the end of the main stick - Not the cap end, which is where so many seem to attach a security cord!

pchelper001 11:32 02 Nov 07

i agree with Diemmess, a good website where you can get cheap memory sticks is mymemory.co.uk

they have a quick reliable service

Retiredidiot 11:45 02 Nov 07

Thaks,everyone, for your help. I have bought an external hard drive and it meets my needs. Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…