transferring data

Elwell 18:08 13 Jul 04

Can anyone tell me what software I need to transfer data from the drive of a soon to be defunct machione to the drive of a new machine?

Many thanks

Diemmess 18:19 13 Jul 04

Cheapest way is to burn one or more CDs depending on how much data you wish to transfer. Applications and the o/s are a quite different problem.

Elwell 18:20 13 Jul 04

Sorry. Should have said - no cd or any other way to copy.

TomJerry 19:03 13 Jul 04

The easiest way is to use usb datalink cable if your old one has usb port. £11.74 from ebuyer click here. (you can find cheaper usb1 version, do not remember the link). Software come with cable, very easy to use.

If you old one does not have usb port, you can link two PC via parallel (print port). Cable can be found from ebuyer around £5, you can search yourself. Software, windows from Win95 have a function called direct cable link. You can set it up. Search help on windows to find how.

Parallel solution is slower than usb solution.

TomJerry 19:25 13 Jul 04

usb1 file transfer cable £5.87 click here

This one should do the job £2.14 click here or £2.34 click here

Bagsey 19:46 13 Jul 04

Another way that I have used is to open the box of your new machine and take the HD from your old computer and fit it into the new as a slave drive then just copy the data accross to your new hard disc. When I say fit it into your new computer I dont mean that you need to go to all of the trouble of screwing it down, just connect the wide ribbon cale after setting the jumpers on the drive to slave. Then connect up the power lead to the drive and you should be ready to go.

Elwell 22:38 13 Jul 04

Excellent. Will try these suggestions. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…