Transfer/record music to Notebook w/o line-in

GaT7 15:13 25 Feb 05

Hi folks, my friend has a Notebook PC running WinXP.

He wants to transfer/record his cassette & vinyl music collection to the PC & then copy/transfer them to his Creative Zen Touch MP3 player (click here to view player & specs if required).

The problem is the Notebook doesn't have a line-in so he feels he requires one of these 'USB to Audio adapters' click here to be able to achieve the above.

His questions are: 1. Will using the above adapter (or similar) work? 2. Is there a better/correct way around this (without buying an external soundcard), & 3. Where can he purchase the above adapter here in the UK (Ebay included). Of course, a basic one with out the 5.1 sound, etc. will do.

Any personal experience with this as well as appropriate links would be most welcome. Ta, G

GaT7 22:16 26 Feb 05

Julemand 23:12 26 Feb 05

I have just had a few successes using headphones from my stereo to mic socket on my laptop using audiograbber and lame encoder. Saving them on my harddisk as MP3 then burning them as music CD's.

GaT7 23:51 26 Feb 05

Thanks Julemand. Will let him know (may be back for a tutorial if he doesn't know how). But is that the best way in terms of ease & effectiveness? G

GaT7 23:09 27 Feb 05

Julemand, I've had a message from him saying that using mic-in is possible, as you've tried successfully, but the better way is using line-in.

My original questions remain unanswered. G

GaT7 14:26 28 Feb 05

TomJerry 15:00 28 Feb 05

(1) the product you mentioned is an external sound card with linein, it will work but do not know the quality of product, you may try creative's offerings.

(2) he can try to use mic-in if it has one, but (a) he has to make tape player's output rather low in case mic-in port gets burnt becuase mic-in has low impedance than line-in (b) he has to adjust his recorder software mic-in level rather low otherwise sound quality is rather poor

try it out, if it still does not work get an external sound card

Creative Labs Soundblaster MP3+ - External USB Soundcard £25.23 click here

Creative Sound Blaster Live - 24bit External 5.1 Sound Card £42.77 click here

GaT7 17:35 01 Mar 05

TJ, thanks for your comments, advice & links.

Yes, as I said earlier (& Julemand suggested), he has informed me that using mic-in is possible but not [necessarily] the best. Do appreciate the tips (2)(a)(b).

The Creative Labs Soundblaster MP3+ - External USB Soundcard looks good, though he was hoping there would be something cheaper/more basic, like just a 'USB to line-in' adapter (w/o the extra bits). Or, is that asking for too much?! G

GaT7 21:19 05 Mar 05

He has decided to go for the one of the external soundcards that TomJerry mentioned. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…