transfering a website

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 19:34 24 Nov 05

Hi all
I have aquired a website, and want to know what needs to happen to transfer it to me.
I have password to get into admin, and can alter site, but can't configure outlook (Won't give me permission)...I understand the bloke who I got it from needs to transfer the name to me but does that mean I will be able to set up my outlook. (At the moment my outlook is configured to blueyonder(My ISP), however I want it to be just info@ / orderform@ etc...and go straight to my outlook. Do I need to do anything (or him) re the hosting of the site, and if all the necessary is done will I be able to configure the website to outlook with no problems

Cheers as always.

Paul

the website has a link to contact me, but at the moment it is linked toe bloke I have aquired it from.
I can get into admin site and chan=ce stuff, but it won't give me permission to change contact.

I am waiting for him to contact his domain name people to transfer it to me.

I do get confused with outlook.

I have set up a little website using the free webspace supplied by blueyonder. When I press to contact it opens outlook with the address [email protected]
what I need outlook to have is [email protected]
and maybe another folder [email protected] (so what I think I am saying is that I need the email addresses associated with the site)
If this makes it any clearer

PurplePenny 22:44 24 Nov 05

Maybe I'm misunderstanding completely as well. Is the problem with Outlook? Do you mean you don't know how to set up Outlook with the new mail accounts? If so this might help: click here

I do have this difficulty....I am sorry cos I don't think I am making myself clear. The site click here has a contact page. If I tried to contact now would the email not go to his outlook?

Can I add a clone site .co.uk

Can I redevelop the site using a diferent web design? Does it need redevelopment?

harristweed 07:51 25 Nov 05

Outlook is a program on YOUR computer that accesses ‘mail boxes’ based elsewhere (other computers linked by the internet). When an email is sent to [email protected] .co.uk, it goes to a mailbox on the hosting computer at ‘yourdomain.co.uk’. Then Outlook will access that mailbox and receive the email.

On a web site there can be a piece of text that is a ‘mailto’ link. Usually this looks like an email address. This code when clicked will open the email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Icredimail, Thunderbird or what ever) that is on the viewing computer. The to email address will already be completed by the code.
mailto:[email protected]

The other option on a web site is to have a form to fill in. When the Submit button is clicked, a piece of code (called a form handler) sends an email (or emails) to pre-set email address.

I am sure you have now worked out that for your web site to do either of the above, you need to alter the code on your site, for the former Or have access to the ‘mailbox’ user name and password, for the later. You should be able to get these details from the site’s control panel.

You don't need the site domain name to be registered to you to do any of this.

I hope the above is all clear.

PurplePenny 19:59 25 Nov 05

I'm with John on this - the site needs a redesign and *fast*.

Not only is there no need for a forum, the questions being asked there are ones that *should* already be answered on the site.

The comment from the person who had kept her husband's ashes would be better used as a testimonial (though personally I always find myself doubting the veracity of such things).

The image of the woman and dog having fun on a beach doesn't feel appropriate for a site which is going to be used by people who are grieving.

There is a lot of information missing from the site that has to be there by law. Trading Standards provide a very good checklist: click here

You should probably contact the Office of Fair Trading about the "right to cancel" section to ascertain whether/how it would apply to your goods/service. It applies to goods that are made to order to a standard design shown on the website but not to goods made to a special order i.e. non-standard or customised. I think that even the Office of Fair Trading would agree that incorporating ashes into the material of the statue makes it customised!

I need the site transfering to me...but who needs to do what.I also need to see the page that tells me what activity has been happening.

like I say I think the bloke who put the site together found the cheapest website he could.

The admin site seems to be very limited in its options, and I seem only to be able to change the text, as opposed anything else. (it is t2 if that means anything to anyone)

The list of stuff is in no order, and I agree it is very dark to look at. I really want to revamp

So what is the answer? / Do I dich the host. Redesign through someone else?

Like I say I can't veiw the site activity page, and need to know how to acheive this

The owner has advised me to go into Setup email in Admin section, however in the admin section when I try to setup email the download box appears but then a a box appears saying -Internet Explorer cannot download settings.ins from click here. Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try agin later-

What should I do...

Forum Editor 07:55 26 Nov 05

and I'm going to step in and add to it at the moment - apart from saying that considering the importance of the site from a business point of view I would take the whole thing offline for the time being, whilst it's completely redesigned. You could put a simple holding page in its place, informing people that there's a redesign going on, and including a few contact details.

Then settle down and start from scratch - the present site is doing you no good at all.

It is my full intention to take it off and redesign, but (Before I ask for help on this) I need to know how I get the site totally in my control.
As I have said I have password for site, but can't edit contact page.
It will be no good revamping the site if I don't receive the emails from it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…