Transfering .wav files between Computers.

timoth 15:05 12 Aug 04

I have not the remotest idea how to transfer some 15- 30 min sound files between base-units. Without making extra purchases, is there any way of using a USB to USB lead between machines? (One machine is CDRW, the other (mine) does not have the necessary CDRW. Hopefully no extra software is required. The machine i would transfer to is Windows XP, my machine is W98.
cheers, timo

Pesala 15:20 12 Aug 04

1. Direct cable link as you suggest. Need to buy some inexpensive kit.

2. Split the files onto floppy disks with Chainsaw (104K) click here Splits large files for easier transfer and recombines them with a batch file.

3. Take the hard drive out of one base unit and connect it into the other as a slave drive.

4. Send by email

2 and 4 will be easier if you convert the *.wav files to MP3 first.

TomJerry 15:22 12 Aug 04

You will burn the computer because all usb port are powered, two power ports do not like each other.

For your task, you can convert .wav into .mp3 (about 1/6 size at high quality) and transfer using CD. A free program called Cdex can do this click here. Once you get into small mp3 format, you can transfer use many methods, even email or floppy.

If the file is still too big for floppy, you can get a file split program to split it. Split files can be stich together late. One free nice file split program Chainsaw click here

If you do more file transfer, you can get a usb datalink cable to do the job. usb2 version costs around £9 and usb1 version costs around £6, both can be found from ebuyer click here

TomJerry 15:23 12 Aug 04

You will burn the computer because all usb port are powered, two power ports do not like each other.

For your task, you can convert .wav into .mp3 (about 1/6 size at high quality) and transfer using CD. A free program called Cdex can do this click here. Once you get into small mp3 format, you can transfer use many methods, even email or floppy.

If the file is still too big for floppy, you can get a file split program to split it. Split files can be stich together late. One free nice file split program Chainsaw click here

If you do more file transfer, you can get a usb datalink cable to do the job. usb2 version costs around £9 and usb1 version costs around £6, both can be found from ebuyer click here

Pesala 15:23 12 Aug 04

If not, you can use a null modem cable: click here;en-us;305621&sd=tech#2

Pesala 15:54 12 Aug 04

http:/ /support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb; en-us;305621&sd=tech

timoth 17:42 12 Aug 04

Many thanks everyone. I would like to splash out on the datalink....I fear i would have trouble with file conversions 'big-time'. I shall ask in the local computer store about a USB datalink, but am confused as to the remarks about poss. burn-out...power problems. cheers, everyone.

TomJerry 22:31 12 Aug 04

But, you can get cheaper online: USB1 version £5.87 click here

USB2 version £11.74 click here

Not much point to get USB2 version because your win98 only support usb1.

What I said in previous post is NOT to connect us ordinary usb cable. Datelink cable has power isolator in between so prevent power problem.

TomJerry 22:33 12 Aug 04

It is a very very easy process with two programs I suggested above.

Mango Grummit 22:44 12 Aug 04

click here for the machine without one. Must be the easiest way and not expensive either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…