Transfering software on new pc

funkman25 14:05 27 Apr 03

I have new pc running windows xp and have fitted my old hard drive as a slave drive. iwant to trasfer programes from the old hard drive to the new one. i know its not as simple as just draging and droping the file. what software would be best to do the job

AndySD 14:13 27 Apr 03

Its not possable.... you can drag and drop your Data (mail/documents/game) but the programs you will need to reinstall on the new drive as they need to add themselfs to the XP registry to run.

devilsprofessor 14:45 27 Apr 03

Or you could put the progs you want to run on yer new PC onto a cd (presuming you have a cd wr on old PC and run the prog on yer new PC from CD.
I did that with my new PC which also has XP when i got it last Friday :)

mrdsgs 15:27 27 Apr 03

Partition Magic from PowerQuest includes "drive mapper" which I believe is used for exactly t5his purpose, either with partitions or hard drive changes.

mrdsgs 15:27 27 Apr 03

Partition Magic from PowerQuest includes "drive mapper" which I believe is used for exactly this purpose, either with partitions or hard drive changes.

dth 15:33 27 Apr 03

if else fails - try just dragging them across. you will find that about half will still work

pj123 15:37 27 Apr 03

go to click here and download the programme xxcopy.

then you would need to go to Start, Run and type xxcopy d:\ c:\ /clone and press enter. I am told that xxcopy works with XP.

DieSse 16:42 27 Apr 03

I agree with AndySD here -generally speaknig you can't just copy programs across. Firstly you won't get the additions to the registry - and secondly you won't find all the odds and ends of files it puts into the Windows folder and sub-foldes, nor any other system changes they make. You need to re-install the programs and copy across your data and settings.

DieSse 16:45 27 Apr 03

He/she certainly doesn't want a cloned drive - this would wipe out the WinXP installation and any new stuff in the system - and be set up for the wrong motherboard/graphics/etc. Cloning drives is meant primarily for hard disk upgrades.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…