Transfering SATA HDD AHCI / IDE Query?

Tinkey Winkey 00:05 06 Apr 10

I have added a new HDD to my PC with Win7 64.
I did so with the AHCI SATA config in the BIOS.

I still have an internal SATA backup drive from my old Win XP setup, although the data & power cables are curently disconnected.)

Problem is the Win XP setup was running under the IDE SATA config.

I am worried that I cannot add the backup drive to my Windows 7 PC as I believe that AHCI & IDE cannot run at the same time?

I do not want to risk corrupting the valuable data on my backup drive.

Is it safe to add the backup drive to the Win 7 AHCI setup?

Tinkey Winkey 20:02 06 Apr 10

I disconnected the new Win 7 drive and reatached the old XP drive, but it BSODed as I had changed the BIOS SATA config from IDE to AHCI for my new Win 7 HDD.

The Win XP HDD will work but I have to remember to change the SATA config back to IDE first in the BIOS.

I need to know if it's safe to boot my Win 7 HDD together with the backup drive in AHCI SATA, mode as the backup drive was formated from the Win XP setup which was under IDE?

I don't want to risk BSODing my backup drive and corrupting it.

Can I boot the Win 7 drive along with the backup drive in AHCI SATA mode?

canarieslover 20:14 06 Apr 10

You could always get an external enclosure for your second drive and connect through USB.
click here
At least that way you will be able to recover those files without worrying about corrupting the drive.

Tinkey Winkey 20:21 06 Apr 10

thxs canarieslover, I have an external enclosure which I can use if necessary. I just don't like the slow USB speed. I have to transfer 500GB of data from it back to my new drive. But I will do this unless anyone can tell me that it's safe to carry on using the backup drive internally under AHCI mode?

Anyone know the answer please?

Sbrads 09:15 10 Apr 10

All that needs to happen for a working multi-drive SATA system is for the HD drivers loaded into Windows to match whatever is selected in the BIOS, i.e. IDE mode or AHCI. Get either wrong and you get a BSOD.

If the drive isn't AHCI enabled then it will still work, just not quite as efficiently as an AHCI enabled one. I believe we're only talking of a couple of percent speed maximum difference here.

BRYNIT 09:26 10 Apr 10

I believe for you Windows XP to work with AHCI enabled you will need load the drivers when first installing to prevent the BSOD. After a quick search I found this click here I don't know if it will work but you could try. The only other option would be to do a clean install of Windows XP and install the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…