transfering files?

  TTP 23:02 22 Feb 04

What do i need to transfer file/programs to a new PC ? One has a network card the old one doesn't. Is it a NIC and a x-over cable I need or something else, I cant remember,........

  leo49 07:13 23 Feb 04

You remember right - a network card[I recently used this cheap and cheerful D-link one]

click here

and a cross-over cable.

  Ben.s 09:28 23 Feb 04

if u hav ethernet ports on both computers u could buy a ethernet cable and exchange programs/files/folders from there

if u dont hav ethernet ports u can buy a ethernet port that plugs into a free USB port
hope this helps?

  TTP 10:52 23 Feb 04

Sorry peeps, Ive not been proper here. Lets get some details in here...
Old Pc - PB club65 (433mhz celeron 512sdram 26gb HDD Win98SE) no NIC
New Pc - Ei System 5030 (3.06ghzHT P4 512DDR 40gb HDD WinXPhome) ethernet port.
Ive not done this before, just read about it.
What, exactly, do I need to buy ?
Once connected, I run the 'Files/Folders transfer wizard' under XP dont I ?

Please advise .......

  Diodorus Siculus 10:56 23 Feb 04

I would try another way!

What do you want to transfer across? Data, contacts, emails, favourites, cookies, etc? If so, then a flash drive would be your best buy - plug it into a USB port if you have one.

I prefer to manually configure other things - mail settings, etc.

  Ben.s 12:25 23 Feb 04

use e-mail to send a atachment of wht u want to yourself(dont do that its a crap way)

  TTP 15:48 23 Feb 04

Thanks people, i sorted it (RJ45 + NIC £10 savastore) - Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…