Transfering domain names to broadband

Sychologist 18:05 26 Nov 03

I have my business website and email addresses currently with my dial up ISP but want to change to another broadband ISP without having to lose them. Does anyone know who can provide both facilities please as it doesn't seem to be covered by anyone?

A_World_Maker 18:41 26 Nov 03

Have you paid for hosting with your current ISP? If not, then the hosting and email pop boxes are probably part of the package for having the dial-up. The only way you can keep them, is to keep your current account with the ISP. This wont, however, prevent you from having other accounts with other ISP's. Have you approached your current ISP and enquired about a BroadBand package from them, and transfer your website etc over?

Sychologist 10:01 28 Nov 03

My ISP do not charge me for my domain name hosting and there is a transfer fee which I am prepared to pay as their service is hopeless and their broadband can only be used via a creditcard which I do not want to use as a payment method. So I'm looking to change.

tenaka 10:09 28 Nov 03

Who owns the domain?

Goto the Nominet webpage and use the WHOIS service (bottom right) click here type in your domain name without the initial www. and you should get details of who the doamin name is registered to.

If it's you then you can take the domain, and any email addresses attached to it wherever you choose. The only problem is what you may get charged. I signed up with Freenetname yonks ago, got myself a free domain, then didn't connect to their service for 90 days. I could either start paying monthly for their service, let the domain name go or pay a release fee.

NB: it costs in the region of £80 to renew the domain every 2 yrs, it is usually your responsibility to do this although if you find the right host, they will more than likely contact you when it's due.

But it all comes down to who owns your domain name.

tenaka 10:12 28 Nov 03

Sorry, a small P.S.

Remember that the company who hosts your domain doesn't necessarily need to be your ISP.

Ex Cossack 11:13 28 Nov 03

It looks to me that you are using the free webspace that many ISPs give with the account. If that is the case then it cannot be transferred. You would need to buy your own Domain Name which can be hosted by anyone you choose as tenaka has pointed out. Give us a link to your website.

Sychologist 20:07 28 Nov 03

My ISP is indeed Freenetname but they take ages to reply to emails and their service call centre is in India and the support is hopeless. Their contract states that a transfer fee is around £90. To be frank, I would prefer to use another ISP for broadband after being with them this time. The website is click here

pj123 12:35 30 Nov 03

As your domain is a .co.uk registered you can transfer it to another host of your choice. You would need to get your existing host to release the "tag" to your new host. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a "transfer tariff" so they can charge what they like to release it. I have nine domain names hosted by Albatross Networks (based in Norwich) Give them a ring on 01603 442233 and see if they can help. Or try click here

Forum Editor 12:48 30 Nov 03

that when your domain is retagged to a different Domain Name Server the DNS database servers around the world will take up to 24 hours to propagate with the new location - which means that you'll have no email access for that period, nor will any website on the domain be available on the Internet.

Otherwise the procedure should be fairly smooth, and your current host should only make a small charge for the retag. As tenaka has said - your domain host doesn't have to be your ISP - you can use any broadband service provider for that if you wish. You'll then have two email addresses - your own domain name address, and the one provided automatically by your ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…