transfering APPLICATIONS to my new laptop...?

Bansaw 02:46 29 May 10

I have an old XP laptop.

I just bought a new Win7 one.

My files and documents have already been transfered over but now I want to transfer all the applications to my new laptop.

For many I have the original install CD, but for others I have lost my CD and serial no. etc etc.

I know enough about this to know there are all kinds of registry hooks and dlls that need to come over.
Are there any applicatons you have used to sucessfully transfer over applications?

I heard of one:
click here

Any other ideas?

Batch 08:40 29 May 10

The usual opinion is that it is not possible to move applications from one PC to another due the complexities of the multifarious registry entries etc. that need to be catered for (e.g. it is not just a case of copying across the relevant Program Files folders).

However, PCMover seems to have some reasonable reviews so it might be worth a try. Be interesting to hear if any others have experience of PCMover or any simmilar software.

Another consideration is whether the applications that you want to move across are licensed for use on another PC. You may well run in to issues with Microsoft software (e.g. Office) if you use it.

jack 09:26 29 May 10

Transferring already installed programs from machine to machine is not possible.
It has to be a new install from the original disk/source

gengiscant 10:09 29 May 10

I used this click here which is useful for loads of the more popular programs.
If you need to find your serial numbers to any software this is useful.click here
or this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced