Transfering applications and files

gowfer 08:43 03 Nov 05

I will be shortly upgrading my computer. I have an external hard drive.
Can I simply copy all my files and applications on to my external hard drive, install the new computer and then copy back the files and applications I want from the external drive.

Diemmess 08:55 03 Nov 05

No, it is not that simple.

Data of all sorts, and a few small stand-alone programs can be copied just as you hope but....

With a NEW PC which will have motherboard differences, you should do a fresh install of the OS so that it integrates with the new motherboard drivers.

Then most of the major applications have to be re-installed on the new HD because these too have to be integrated with the new OS

It is possible to make an image file with suitable software, but restoring this image to a different PC will lead to errors, crashes and tears, for the reasons already mentioned.

gowfer 15:33 03 Nov 05

Thank yo for your reply.
If I transfer all my files to the external disc, can I plug this in to my new conputer and then transfer them back. ie will the new computer recognise the external hard drive?

Thanks

stylehurst 16:14 03 Nov 05

gowfer
By your own files I presume you mean your data files. If so then your assumption is correct.
New computer should recognise external drive which is I presume USB

jack 19:53 03 Nov 05

Broadly speaking only data files [texts/doc/images/audio will transfer

Programs do not they have to be run from the CD.
The bits saved to external drive will be incomplete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…