Transferability of installed software

Werner 10:19 05 Jan 05

I am about to purchase the full version of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional for installation on a new computer.

What is the position if, in say, a year's time, I replace the computer with a new one:-

1: If I uninstall Office from the old one, may I install it on the new one?

2: In general, may I uninstall other software (licensed to myself) on the old computer and install it on the new one?

NOT BEING ABLE TO DO SO WOULD APPEAR TO MAKE BUYING OFFICE AN EXPENSIVE OPTION!

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Werner

€dstowe 10:32 05 Jan 05

Who is going to know??

I don't think you will have the Gates secret police at your door for anything like this, even if it is not the "correct" thing to do.

Having said that, I think you are OK anyway.

€dstowe 10:34 05 Jan 05

Note: before you go to such great expense, have a look at OpenOffice which will do much of what the M$ product will do - all for free. At the least you can give it a try click here

ventanas 10:35 05 Jan 05

No problem at all, its a retail version, not OEM so you can transfer it as many times as you like.

JIM 10:36 05 Jan 05

Yes and yes.

Actavation of the New Microsoft Office 2003 Professional will regulate the licence for use on "a" computer only.

Your other software (licensed to yourself) on the old computer be no problem.

plsndrs3 10:41 05 Jan 05

You are allowed to have a single copy of software where you own a licence [such as MS Office] installed at any one time - although I also remember reading something along the lines that you can have a copy of office on a laptop & desktop at the same time, as long as they are not used at the same time [?!]. As you will be removing the programs from the old PC and installing on the new one, I cannot see any problem at all & have done just that myself recently - just make sure that you have all your product keys, registration codes and so on available BEFORE you uninstall [I didn't & had a lot of trouble trying to register one piece of software on my new PC after I had uninstalled it from my old PC & lost all my information!

HTH

Paul

Maverick81 10:47 05 Jan 05

Your EULA (end user licence agreement) states that you should only have it installed on "one" pc at anyone time, but like everyone said who will know.

The tricky bit comes when you sell your pc on, you would have to remove the office installation from the system unless you were selling th office cd as part of the deal.

If the software is OEM and was provided with your pc it is licensed to that system and if you sell the system on the office cd must go with it.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Mav

ventanas 11:56 05 Jan 05

A single copy of Office can be installed on two machines if one is a desktop and the other a portable. The activation process will detect which type of machine. As plsndrs3 says they should not be used at the same time.

Modo 12:36 05 Jan 05

After your first activation with 2003 you will find that subsequent activations will not work over the Internet.

You will need to call the number (genuine Free number for a change) and key in a ridiculously long string of digits that the activation process generates n your screen. The automated response will then tell you that the product has already been activated. It will offer the option to stay on line and talk to an operator.

If asked - they don't always - tell them what you are doing i.e. installing on your own laptop or reinstalling.

They will then read you out 42 digits in pairs of strings of 3. It takes for ever and is mind numbingly tedious. At least with the whole Office package you will only have to go through this once. I've just had to do it for three products on two machines when I reformatted the hard drives. Yawn.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…