transfer XP OS to new HD

bartenbach98 12:28 02 Apr 09

I want to transfer my OS (XP Pro) to a brand new Sata HD - the old disk is small, full and too slow.
The XP sys was supplied as an OEM version and I am told this transfer will not be possible...
Can anyone advise if it can be done - and how I should go about it?
Thanks for any suggestions!

hastelloy 12:46 02 Apr 09

theres no problem. You will need to clone your old HDD to the new one - simply copying won't work.

Graphicool1 14:05 02 Apr 09
  DieSse 18:03 02 Apr 09

Seagate Disk Wizard - free if you have a seagate drive.

click here

Stuartli 18:35 02 Apr 09

Or Norton Ghost.

Diemmess 19:53 02 Apr 09

Or Acronis.

Make a backup and save on another drive than your present one.
e.g. an external HD or even a pile of DVDs

Swap the old HD for the new one, and Restore from the backup copy using the Acronis CD to boot.

(Am not sure about whether to format the new disk first, or let Acronis do the lot, which it probably will if at 'Restore' it recognises the new HD)

A faithful image will include activation code, you will have no problem there.
Quite different from trying to make the image work on a different Mobo, etc.

bartenbach98 20:47 02 Apr 09

Thanks to all 5 of you for your help.

I've decided to replace the MoBo with an asus P5Q-SE Plus...
I know, I know, this just makes the whole thing even worse but I've decided to bite the bullet anyway. Before I buy another "retail" (not OEM) version of XP Pro OS, is there really no 100% reliable method of getting XP / Microsoft to accept the new MoBo (old one is a Foxcon)?
All the websites I contact explain in such a situation how to "repair" the OS installation etc, but all of them seem heavily-qualified as to the resulting success that can be expected.

Thanks again to all of you.

woodchip 21:37 02 Apr 09

If you do that it will mean that you will need to do a clean install with a Full Operating System Disc. A restore disc will not work or moving the Hard Drive to the new motherboard will most likely not even boot

Stuartli 00:11 03 Apr 09

Normally, if you install a new motherboard, the answer is to do an XP Repair.

This will, under normal circumstances, retain all your programs, installations, configuration etc, although it is still wise to do a full backup.

I've changed motherboards twice over the past three or four years and an XP Repair has proved more than adequate. Details of an XP Repair at:

click here

Just ensure that you select XP Repair and NOT Recovery Console when undertaking the Repair...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…