Transfer win XP O/S to another drive.

jwilkyone 21:39 15 Jul 05

Hi All, I want to transfer my bootable small c:drive to my bigger d:drive and then remove the c:drive and use d:drive as my new c:bootable dive. Can I do this with the backup prog. in WinXP? and restore to d:? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance. Jwilkyone

belt&braces 22:13 15 Jul 05

depending upon what make of drive it is you could use the manufacturer software to clone the drive. If it's a Seagate drive you could use DiscWizard from click here
hope this helps

bretsky 22:24 15 Jul 05

Or try this click here

bretsky ;0)

Danoh 22:25 15 Jul 05

WinXP's NTBackup program is intended to backup data rather then operating systems and installed programs. It does not take account of the exact explicit addresses of where each bit of binary code is currently located and ensure it is in the same explicit address on the new location (Drive D:).

To achieve that you need software which can "clone" or create an exact "Image" of your existing Drive C: as well as being able to restore it correctly to Drive D:

Examples are Norton Ghost, Acronis TruImage, etc.

Even then, there are specific aspects to be aware of
click here

It should also be possible to achieve the same with careful use of DOS based commands within a batch file. But I am not certain enough to be able to advise. Perhaps others can.

Why can't you start afresh and install your operating system and other programs on your new hard disk drive instead? You won't need to consider purchasing extra software, although both Ghost and TruImage would be very useful for automated data backups.

Danoh 22:26 15 Jul 05

bretsky, snap.

woodchip 22:38 15 Jul 05

Get Acronis true Image to do it

TomJerry 23:35 15 Jul 05

all hard disk driver maker provide software for HDD clone purpose, find the maker of your big D and download from their web site

if you want "idoit" solution, Acronis True Image 8.0 (as suggested above) is THE best one o use.

DieSse 23:57 15 Jul 05

"It should also be possible to achieve the same with careful use of DOS based commands within a batch file."

That's not possible with XP without extra programs.

Acronis True Image works extremely well for this task, and s a great investment for future backing up. Simply excellent.

Danoh 00:02 16 Jul 05

DieSse ~ darn!! Forgot DOS got left behind!!

jwilkyone 02:12 16 Jul 05

I think I will try Acronis True Image. Thanks All for your prompt assistance.

woodchip 12:15 16 Jul 05

If you use True Image you need a CDRW or some form to put the Image on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…