transfer of win xp

my daughters lap top has gone belly up and i have built her a small home build pc. she has a disk with xp on it so i tried to load it on her pc as it belongs to her ( she paid for it). xp loaded however the lap top splash screen keeps coming up on the desktop i change the desk top but on next reboot the splash screen is back. it does not ask me for the product key althought i have it i have not reactivated it yet as i want to solve this problem first anybody got any ideas?

Hi handyd. The disk you have, is it just the usual Xp disk?

fizziKs
no the disk is an ifriend disk that came with the laptop

VoG II 22:50 06 Jan 05

I think you are out of luck. That disk is "married" to the laptop.

If I'm not mistaken that machine that was sold via one of the big supermarket chains. If its not the usual Xp disk then it'll probably be a recovery type disk and it'll expect to be loaded on to a particular type of machine.

I'm not familiar with Xp, although I would imagine that there should be someway of loading the disk onto another machine. Maybe someone else on here can help?

is it legit to transfer as my daughter owns the machine and software even thought it dead

VoG II 23:05 06 Jan 05

Irrespective of whether it would be legit, I don't think that you can. The disk that you have contains an OEM version of Windows that is designed to run only in conjunction with the laptop.

If I understand you right. If you bought the machine and the disk came with it, when the laptop died you should be able to use the disk legally to fireup a replacement machine, even if its not an ifriend laptop. Maybe a legal buff can back me up here?

VoG
the disk seems to want to run only on the laptop just wondered if i can get it to run a pc, i am only using it on ONE machine!!

TomJerry 23:31 06 Jan 05

but, this better leave for a PC guru because it is rather involved and may make PC unbootable if you are not sure what you are doing

if you really want to change here is a guide click here

TomJerry 23:34 06 Jan 05

BootXP click here

StyleXP click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…