Transfer Video Tapes to DVD (DVD Creator)

buckland 01:22 05 Mar 07

I want to transfer my old VCRs to DVD. My PC specifications seem to be O.K. (Dell Dimension 4500, 2.53 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM and 80 Gb Hard Drive, Graphics Card. It has a Pioneer DVD RW +/- and CD-R and CD RW, Pinnacle Software, PhotoImageing, etc. My Video Cassette Recorder is a JVC HR-S6700EK (Super VHS ET) BUT all my Video Cassettes are ordinary VCR and not"S"Tapes. You will have gathered by now that I am not at all technical but the VCR seems to have plenty of plug holes in it and two Scarts. It would seem that the "Belkin High Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator" might be the answer as I want to minimise connecting requirements and getting into a tangle. However I have heard that the Software (Ulead VideoStudio 6) is rather difficult and is no longer supported by Ulead anyway. It is not my intention to do a lot of editing, but just get the old VCRs on to more permanent and accessible DVDs so that I can copy them and then send them to my grandchildren and bore the pants off them. If I can I would prefer to transfer directly from VCR to the DVD and avoid loading into the PC and then transferring the stuff. If anyone can advise and provide me with any other suggestions I would be very grateful. Regards, Buckland.

bennyhillslovechild 01:52 05 Mar 07

If you want to convert the videos to a format that will play in standard DVD players, you will need to use some software to capture and then convert the VHS feed into a DVD format (.VOB). There a a huge amount of programs that will do this, but if you are looking for something fairly simple that will just get on with it, the Dazzle peripherals from Pinnacle are fairly good by reputation. Similar to the Belkin system above, they come with a USB video capture breakout box and software that will either allow you to create a basic menu system on the dvd or record pretty much straight to dvd (with time allowing for encoding) click here

it's worth noting also that you are often required to have a fair bit of hard drive space as the software uses this to buffer and store temp files when converting the video. There's a few of the dazzle products on that link I gave you, I hope it's of some help.

buckland 10:56 18 Mar 07

To Bennyhillslovechild,
Many thanks for your information which I followed up; hence the delay in my reply. Pinnacle advised that the Dazzle might work but felt that they could not guarantee it due to my low-grade Video Card. I am reluctant to risk buying on that basis and am now looking to an all-in-one DVD/VHS Unit (including a Samsung) at under £100. The claim is that I can transfer a VHS Tape to DVD at the touch of a button (a technology which frankly appeals to me). As I have no DVD Player/Recorder (i.e. R and RW+-) other than that incorporated in my PC then this seems to be the best path to take. Should you have any comments or recommendations on this angle such as necessity of having a Hard Drive, etc., in such a Unit then they would be most welcome.Meanwhile thank you for your previous advice. Regards, Buckland.

Joe R 11:02 18 Mar 07

buckland,

if you hook up your video player, and a dvd-recorder at the same time, it is only a matter of playing your vhs player and recording to the dvd-recorder.

This would allow you to buy only a recorder, instead of the combi.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now