//some 3rd party need geo

transfer VHS to DVD

LEGGGGY 18:02 07 Jun 05

any ideas as to the easiest/best way of transfering my old home videos to dvd.

Bagsey 18:34 07 Jun 05

Buy a Stand alone dvd recorder . Saves a lot of messing about with capture cards. Editing software etc. Plus needing a fastish computer with a big fast hard disc. Video gobbles up hard disc space as if there was no tomorrow.

SEASHANTY 20:06 07 Jun 05

Just type in the word <VHS> in the search bar on the left of this thread. It will bring up a lot of threads on this subject.

pj123 21:08 07 Jun 05

Agree with Bagsey, the best/easiest way is via a standalone DVD recorder. A 3 hour VHS tape takes 3 hours. To do the same thing via a capture card and PC will take at least 7 hours.

I have both a standalone DVD recorder and a PC based capture card. The only thing you can't do with the standalone is edit out anything you don't want (like adverts etc) except by using the pause button. But that means you have to be sitting there watching it and know where the start and finish pauses are required.

BT 09:43 08 Jun 05

It seems that if you want to edit as well as transfer tapes you will need to use you PC Capture Card with the signal fed in from your VCR. You will also need some Video editing software like Pinnacle Studio, and perhaps Nero for capturing and burning. Power Producer Gold is also good for capturing and rendering. And as previously said you will need a fast computer and lots of spare hard disc space.

SEASHANTY 09:45 08 Jun 05

If you record to a DVD-RAM disc using Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi or Samsung home DVD recorders which support DVD-RAM, you will be able to edit out or insert whatever you wish. You could then use a DVD PLAYER which will play DVD-RAM discs such as the Panasonic S27 and use this to record from onto DVD-R disc in your DVD recorder. This is the hard way tho' - much simpler if your home DVD recorder also a hard disk. Info on DVD-RAM click here Personally I leave the commercials in - editing is very time consuming.

Border Collie 11:31 08 Jun 05

I hope you don't mind me intruding LEGGGGY but like you I'm about to transfer some home videos, which I'd previously transferred to VHS, onto DVD and feel any answers would help us both.

I did a search and find the main recommendation is to purchase a DVD recorder but as I have only about 4 to 5 hours to transfer, and having just purchased a TV/DVD combo, the extra cost hardly seems worth it.

Is it possible to transfer via Firewire, as with my video camera and will Windows movie maker be suitable for editing and making a movie before burning?

Border Collie 11:31 08 Jun 05

I hope you don't mind me intruding LEGGGGY but like you I'm about to transfer some home videos, which I'd previously transferred to VHS, onto DVD and feel any answers would help us both.

I did a search and find the main recommendation is to purchase a DVD recorder but as I have only about 4 to 5 hours to transfer, and having just purchased a TV/DVD combo, the extra cost hardly seems worth it.

Is it possible to transfer via Firewire, as with my video camera and will Windows movie maker be suitable for editing and making a movie before burning?

pj123 11:43 08 Jun 05

Border Collie, if you have only a few hours to transfer this might be cheaper for you:

click here

Border Collie 11:54 08 Jun 05

Nice site pj123 and hope your link has helped LEGGGGY, but my tapes have various 'movies' which are in no special order and I hope to be able to cut and edit to get them in event/year order. (e.g My wedding film on one tape but the reception after on another).

Looking back I could have done better but at the time I was a complete novice. If I could go back in time and give myself a good slap, I would.

Border Collie 11:55 08 Jun 05

Nice site pj123 and hope your link has helped LEGGGGY, but my tapes have various 'movies' which are in no special order and I hope to be able to cut and edit to get them in event/year order. (e.g My wedding film on one tape but the reception after on another).

Looking back I could have done better but at the time I was a complete novice. If I could go back in time and give myself a good slap, I would.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…