Transfer Photos from Laptop to Desktop

rawprawn 16:21 20 Sep 04

What is the easiest way to transfer about 200 photos from a laptop (CD read not write )to a desktop.

xania 16:32 20 Sep 04

Either a program like Laplink, or using the networking facilities together with a crossover cable between the two, or using an external zip drive.

vinnyo123 16:33 20 Sep 04

If they both have NIC cards connect them with a crossover cable CAT 5 and run the Newtork wizard assuming your running Windows. Or an USB storage?

rawprawn 16:53 20 Sep 04

Thanks for the replies, I have installed a USB Network cable but I can't seem to make a connection. Do I need to put the software on both computers? I have USB Network Bridge showing in C:Program file on the desktop , but I can't seem to do anything with it.

rawprawn 17:03 20 Sep 04

I have to go out now, I will get back tomorrow.

Whaty 17:16 20 Sep 04

I bought a pen-drive to overcome exactly the same problem, 128Mb for £18.... of course, to move 200 photo's you will either need a bigger drive or, to move them 50-80 (approx) at a time depending on size.

Stuartli 17:25 20 Sep 04

If you have a card reader/writer and a memory card (the one from your digital camera will do if necessary) you can transfer them this way.

XP and, IIRC, ME and 2000 don't require drivers for the card reader/writer - you should find the card reader's Drive(s) letters from My Computer>Explore and be able to drag and drop the files onto the card.

Reformat the card afterwards in the camera for picture taking purposes.

rawprawn 17:39 20 Sep 04

I haven't gone yet, but am running late, where would I get a card reader/writer and about how much are they. I have a camera with a memory card.The laptop is my frinends and has ME, I have XP SP2

Whaty 17:45 20 Sep 04

Is a pen-drive not easier... and it can be used to tranfer/store other data as well.? You won't even need to use the drivers for XP and ME, just plug it in the USB port and drag-n-drop...

Whaty 17:50 20 Sep 04

Forgot to add, I ordered my drive over the phone at dinner time one day and it was in my letter box when I got home the following day... you can buy USB storage all over the place (PC World, etc.) but they tend to be dearer for the same amount of memory.

rawprawn 08:12 21 Sep 04

I have decided to follow Whaty's advice and I have ordered a Pen Drive this morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…