Transfer my domain name to a new ISP

buckways 21:25 18 Feb 15

I bought my own domain name (own name.co.uk) from Amen World some years ago and renewed it every two years for about £12. They provided an email service to my computer and mobile phone for that fee. in 2013 they were taken over by Names.Co who offered me a ten year deal for £72 last February, which I bought. Imagine my surprise when a few weeks ago I received a proforma invoice from Names.Co for £81 for a Starter Hosting Package and Authenticated SMTP Access, for 12 months to the end of February 2016. I called and told them I had already paid and they told me that they have a different charging regime now and that the £72 was purely to own the domain name, not to receive the email service. They confirmed that the £81 included services I don't require and offered me an email only service for £37+VAT. They also told me that I could transfer my domain name to another ISP for an admin fee of £10+VAT and to do that I would need to provide them with a Nominet TAG. I called Sky, who are my Broadband provider but they told me that they don't provide an internet service to own name domain names - and did not seem to know what a Nominet TAG is. Can you provide me with the names of a few internet service providers who would provide an email service for my own domain name and charge more reasonable fees please. Regards. Buckways

LastChip 23:45 18 Feb 15

Those fees are not unreasonable. You've got a domain name for £7.20 per year and they're offering an email service for less than £1 a week.

Have you ever thought maybe your previous provider couldn't make it pay at the rates they were charging?

What you were offered years ago, clearly does not reflect reality and the costs of running today's data centres.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now