transfer my 35mm transparrencies

gkford 12:05 18 Nov 03

I would like to copy my colour transparencies to my computer. can this be done and what sort of results can I expect. Any coments for a sutable scanner would be appreciated.

alcudia 12:13 18 Nov 03

Many flatbed scanners costing less than £100 now have a transparency adaptor and produce reasonable results. However if you want top quality and higher resolutions you will need a dedicated film scanner.

These are not cheap, although Jessops do one for about £400. They also do one for £200 but this has a lower max resolution. Nikon's and Minolta's range from £500 up to £3000. The choice is yours.

I think the Jessop models are Minolta clones from a discontinued range, at least they look similar.

pj123 13:43 18 Nov 03
  Stuartli 15:04 18 Nov 03

As pj123 points out, there are numerous threads on this subject.

A flatbed scanner is of little use for transparencies as the resolution levels are only a fraction of those on the film itself.

Proper film scanners are obtainable from about £130 upwards - the more you pay the higher the resolution levels available.

The area of a transparency is so small that you need to extract the maximum possible data for the best results.

gkford 15:46 18 Nov 03

Thank you all for the helpfull advice, and for putting me on the right track. You have certainly saved me money as I shall not now be looking to buy a flatbed scanner.

byfordr 17:57 18 Nov 03

I got a Canon 9900F and the results are good (not as good as a dedicated scanner) One thought I did have (unfortunately after I had brought it) was that high street developers boots, kodak etc offer the facility to put your photos on cd (and normally a option of a few pounds. So perhaps if you got your film developed (normal price say £4 or so) then added the option would save you the cost of the scanner and give you professional results in a easy format. I guess it depends how manner you want to do...

I have an Epson Perfection 1650 Scanner with a built in transparancy adapter which I find very good. They also do a 1250 which is cheaper and comes with a plug-in adapter.

Stuartli 17:45 19 Nov 03

We have presumed, rightly or wrongly, that the question is with regard to a collection of colour transparencies which already exists...:-)

byfordr 18:08 19 Nov 03

Stuartli

As far as I am aware most places on the high street do reprints, so I'm assuming that while getting a reprint done you could pay them to put it on a cd as well. As a dedicated film scanner is expensive (around £400+) it might be one way of getting a professional result without shelling out too much. Obviously it depends how many colour transparencies you want to get on the computer.

click here

Stuartli 09:11 20 Nov 03

Dedicated film scanners can be acquired, as I mentioned earlier, from £130 upwards....

Also Morgan Computers (click here) often has reconditioned Minolta models at around £200.

Prints from transparencies are likely to be expensive and I doubt if a service to double up the images on a CD-ROM is available in this case.

It is, though, a good idea to use the CD-ROM option normally, especially as it can cost as little as £1.99. However, I've only used this service for film developing and printing.

If you want to try another way of getting reprints of your digital images have a look at these websites, recommended in order of merit by a well known computer magazine:

click here
click here
click here\digitalpix

I've always used pixology.com to date but although prices drop dramatically the more prints are ordered, even individual ones, it can't compare with these three companies' charges.

The first listed has been voted best in class but the second is based on the Continent, so it may be wise to try the others first.

Stuartli 09:18 20 Nov 03

By the way, there are far cheaper and just as good quality wise outlets, especially online as mentioned, or by post, than high street outlets such as Boots, Jessops, Tesco or Asda.

The real advantage is speed if you really need prints quickly - a half-hour or one hour service is available at some retailers, but you pay for the privilege and convenience.

My wife had three standard size prints done at Tesco from a friend's APS film recently - cost was a staggering £5.97 and took more than a week to be available.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…