Transfer LPs & Tapes to CD

SURVEY 21:47 12 Dec 04

I am using Windows XP and have Roxio Easy Creator 7 on my main desktop computer. I wish to transfer my LP's and cassette tapes to CD. I have purchased a set of phono leads with a line-in end for a computer or accessory capture device. As I cannot get the desktop to the stereo system or vice-versa I have connected the leads to my laptop (that runs Windows 98SE)and just using the Windows Recorder function find that although I can hear the music from my stereo being played on the laptop through the line-in I cannot record it, however I seem to adjust the Recorder function. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this may be? The laptop does have a soundcard or chip as it will play CD's (CDROM drive only). My idea was to save the music file on the laptiop and then transfer it all to my desktop to burn to CD.

Failing this I have considered buying a capture device - presumably an MP3 player that will record from the stereo and will allow me to then upload to my desktop computer. What make of recorder/player would anyone advise? I would like to maintain the sound quality of the source music. I have considered an MP3 player that would allow me to put most of music on it and then allow playback through my TV speakers or indeed my own stereo system at some stage but my primatry aim at present is to record and then burn to CD.

pj123 22:24 12 Dec 04

There are at least 20 previous threads on this subject. Just type vinyl to cd in the search box.

I have a portable stereo system which is permanently connected to my PC. You need a recording programme, I use LP Recorder and LP Ripper. LP Recorder will record the whole tape as one long .wav track and LP Ripper allows you to split it back to separate tracks. Both can be got from click here

Alternatively, Jetaudio is free from click here but you would probably need to record and save each track separately.

anniel 22:37 12 Dec 04

The first is an explanation of what has to be done:

click here

The second is a programme that gives a generous free trial time:

click here

The third is a wonderful advice page written by a DadioH who knows his stuff.

click here

I use my Walkman cassette player plugged into my PC to play my cassettes and have transferred music with Nero wave editor quite successfully.

Can I suggest that if you "Google" "transferring LPs and cassettes to PC" you get lots of hits.

I would also suggest that Newsgroups are a great source of assistance.

There are quite a few experts on those groups who would give you assistance.

SURVEY 22:47 12 Dec 04

Anniel, thanks for this. But how did you download the cassette tapes? Dircet to your walkman? Is there a deterioration in quality? I will be bale to transfer to CD OK but my problem is being able to capture the original cassette or vinyl sound in the simplest way.

pj123 23:24 12 Dec 04

I also record my LPs on to cassette first and then transfer them to my hard disk as a .wav file.

I have not noticed any deterioration in quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…