Transfer of LP Vinyl to CD or DVD

JWP 10:21 15 Jun 04

I have a collection of LP's which I would like to copy on to Cd/DVD.Can you please advise me:

1) What configuration of PC do I need. 2) Which software and is it available to edit the "frying eggs" and scratches.3) What is the advantage of DVD over CD for audio only.4) Am I being optimistic and need professional studio facilities.Thank you and Regards.

SANTOS7 10:35 15 Jun 04

To transfer vinyl LP records to CD or audio cassettes to CD, you will need to take a couple of steps. First of all, you will need to record the LP/tape as one large .wav file (you have to make sure there is enough free hard drive space as it will be fairly large wave files!).

WHAT YOU NEED:
A tape deck or record player with an "an audio out" (a line-out or headphone slot would do!).
An RCA to headphone cable (to connect your tape deck to your computer's sound card).
Software to extract the music from the tape and save it onto your computer
Software to burn this music to CD!
To start, you will first need to connect your stereo system to your computer with a stereo RCA-to-headphone cable. One end of this cable should be connected to your tape deck's line-out, and the other end should be plugged into the line-in of your sound card

SANTOS7 10:38 15 Jun 04

click here this may help as well

SEASHANTY 10:51 15 Jun 04

A website with very detailed information on LP to CDR recording with many links to software progs etc. is here click here

Sans le Sou 11:43 15 Jun 04

Your signal from the record player will need to be pre amped. Should be alright as above, but if you use a DJ deck then you will need a pre amp.

stlucia 13:21 15 Jun 04

That's a good link, Santos7. The only thing I would say to a beginner is don't get too hung up about having to record each side of the LP as a single .wav file and then use software to split it into separate tracks: In my experience, it is almost as simple to record and save each track separately -- sometimes the 'ripper' software doesn't identify the gaps between tracks correctly, so you have to go back and do it manually anyway.

pj123 14:53 15 Jun 04

The programmes to do this (which are what I use) are LP Recorder and LP Ripper both available from click here

LP Recorder will record as one .wav file and LP Ripper will split it back into separate tracks.

molemole 21:35 01 Feb 05

Having mentioned that I wouldn't mind transferring my LPs to CDS I was bought Audio Cleaning Labs and a record deck with built in pre-amp. I have a gizmo which combines the L and R channels into one jack. My question is which socket on my sound card do I plug it into. The speaker one is obviously occupied, one of the 2 remaining sockets has a microphone symbol but I am not sure what the symbol against the other socket is and can't find any help from my computer manuals.

daba 21:51 01 Feb 05

The third socket is 'line-in' and that is the one you should feed your pre-amp'd record deck into.

Robotic_Rob 22:47 01 Feb 05

What does a pre amp do exactly? Would the speaker output from a hifi be pre amp'd?

ami 23:34 01 Feb 05

Robotic_Rob
The signal which comes direct from the stylus is too small to be 'read' by a computer, a pre-amplifier enhances the signal to make it usable.
If a record deck has a speaker output then it almost certainly has a pre-amp as the same rule applies to speakers.
JWP
like molemole, I've also used Audio Cleaning Labs software, on a very ancient computer, to do just what you say you want to do, with great successs. It's a very user-friendly piece of software and will enable you to set 'track markers' without having to 'rip' the LP into seperate files.
Just remember after 'burning' the cd to 'close' it or it won't play on most car and home CD players, and don't use a CD-/+RW!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…