Transfer of Licence XP Pro

alcudia 15:05 18 Sep 03

A few months back I upgraded an aging P3 to XP Pro with a retail purchased upgrade CD. The hard drive has now failed and the pc broken up and destroyed.

I have another (ME) machine that could use this disc if the licence can be transferred. MS have told me there will not be a problem, but that's ok now, before it's on the machine. I don't want to be in the situation where I have installed it and they change their minds. I cannot, of course, prove that the pc it was on no-longer exists.

Has anyone had any experience of transferring an XP licence and was there any problem with activation, which will have do be done by telephone.

Thanks in advance.

stlucia 15:20 18 Sep 03

No experience of transferring XP, but I did activate my copy by phone and they didn't ask me any details of the PC I was installing it on. So the situation that you've got is just the same as someone who has had to format their HDD for some reason, and now needs to re-load XP. MS can't have any objection.

stlucia 15:23 18 Sep 03

I've just realised, the discussion here click here is relevant.

DieSse 17:16 18 Sep 03

If it's a Retail version (NOT an OEM version) - you can freely transfer it between systems and even sell it if you wish. However it cannot be on more than one system at any one time.

The rules for OEM versions are quite different.

You will have no problems activating it.

alcudia 08:17 19 Sep 03

That's what I wanted to hear. It IS a retail version. However I have decided to leave until the Xmas break when I will have more time.

Thanks a lot.

steven_frost 08:51 19 Sep 03

I had to reinstall xp pro on to my a new hard drive phoned MS up and had no problems with them activating it at all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…