transfer of information between pcs

ro1 11:04 04 Mar 03

hello - ive just ordered a new MESH? TFT - and would like to transfer information from my old laptop - can anyone help.....please........

MAJ 11:15 04 Mar 03

There are a few ways to do it, depending on your setup.
1. You could Network the two machines.
2. You can transfer files using a CD rewriter.
3. You could use Laplink.
4. Transfer files via a USB hard drive.

Need more info on your setup, ro1.

ro1 11:25 04 Mar 03

by setup MAJ do you mean:DVD-ROM- and CD-RW seperate outlets - and i seem to -will- have, USB ports too - from another idiot

MAJ 11:38 04 Mar 03

Hi ro1, yes that's what I mean, for example:

option 1. "You could Network the two machines". You will need a network card in each computer.

option 2. "You can transfer files using a CD rewriter". You will need a cd-rewriter attached to the laptop, either internally or externally.

option 3. "You could use Laplink". You will need a cable connecting the two machines. Which cable you need depends on which connections you have, like USB, Serial port or Printer (LPT1) port. You will also need either "Laplink", or "FileSync" software.

option 4. "Transfer files via a USB hard drive". You'll need a USB hard drive and you'll need to have USB ports on your laptop.

MAJ 11:41 04 Mar 03

Of course, if the files aren't larger than 1.44MB, you could transfer them using a floppy drive, if each machine had a floppy drive.

ro1 14:30 04 Mar 03

thank you MAJ - i have tried floppy discs but seemingly i need bigger ones (i didn't think there was more than one size)
i've printed out what you've said and will-ponder ont. thank you very much

MAJ 22:56 04 Mar 03

What type of files and what size of files are you trying to transfer, ro1? You may be able to zip (compress) the files to a smaller size, maybe enabling them to fit onto a floppy. Even if the files are too large to fit on floppy even when zipped, you may be able to split the files into smaller floppy-sized files and re-join them on your new PC. I use JASP file splitter to do that sort of thing from time to time. You can download JASP if you click here

anchor 08:16 05 Mar 03

Copying to CD would be ideal, but it is unlikely that your "old" laptop has a CD burner.

This matter was discussed recently

click here

The method I would suggest is with the USB link cable, as I mentioned in the above thread.

anchor 08:22 05 Mar 03

A friend has just bought a new PC with XP pre-installed. He has an Epson 640 printer and would like to know if it works with XP.

The Epson site does not list any XP drivers for this model. Has anyone been successful in using this model with XP?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…